Page 1 of 1

Need a quick education.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:27 pm
by Mechaworx
Hi All,

I'm new to this whole plugins thing. I have been using Corel Graphics Suite 7 for many years and have just upgraded to Corel Graphics Suite 11 (didn't go with 12 because 12 only runs on Win XP)

Anyway, I'm confused as to what "plugins" are? Are they seperate applications that run outside of Corel (Or Photoshop or whatever) or are they extra effects and stuff that run inside the graphics application that you use?

Sorry for the newbie question


Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:18 am
by HaraldHeim
Plugins are programs that need a host application to run. They don't run on their own, because they need some service and the image data provided by an application. So plugins run inside Corel Photo-Paint or Photoshop.

There are a lot of different types of Photoshop-compatible plugins. The most common ones are filter plugins which provide additional image effects or let you correct photos.

For more information please read my article at ... uction.htm

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:13 pm
by Mechaworx
Hi Haroldheim

Thanks for the quick education. These plug-ins are like using Flash with IE or netscape browsers.

I understand now, so like I use Corel Photopaint so in that application there is an "Effect" option on the file menu. I assume that whatever plugins I get would show up in there, is that about right?

Thanks for being patient.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:30 pm
by HaraldHeim
Photoshop-compatible filter plugins show up on the Effect menu. I don't know if Photopaint supports other plugin types, but if it does, they show up in other places.