Get rid of Jagged Edges?

General Remaks about our web site or other things that don't fit in any other forum
arthurghewett
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Get rid of Jagged Edges?

Post by arthurghewett »

Currently using Photoimpact but have PSP_X, Photobrush, and Irfan.
My problem when I do cutouts in Photoimpact I get jagged edges. I would like to eliminate them or at least improve their appearance.
Is there a plugin that will help this issue?
Anybody have some suggestions.
Thanks
Arthur

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If you create a selection, you can feather it with e.g. 1 pixel width. That will make the edges smooth.

Sometimes it is too smooth. In such cases I had the best results by repainting the selection edges with a brush. Of course that's much more work. I'm not sure if PSP offers such a feature, otherwise you can use a layer mask and paint on it with a brush.

arthurghewett
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Jagged Edges

Post by arthurghewett »

I am not sure what tool in Photoimpact to use, so I will practice with the blur. burned, type of tools.
I will be out on commission tomorrow for probably 10 days. Have a knee replacement schedule for thursday.
See you when I get back.
Arthur

mrkaki
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by mrkaki »

Also, if the feather is not enough for you - after you cut out the selection, you can always use blur more for nice smooth edges. I use blur more twice and I'm satisfied with it.

And please, don't signature your posts. That's what usernames are for.

Edit: I forgot to note that, it'll look blurry. Wait.. are you cut outting a selection or you're using the cut out filter? No matter, same results. Ok. It'll look blurry - so you need Photoshop CS2 to fix it: Use smart sharpen on 25% in 20 pixels rate.