file rescue...help!

General Remaks about our web site or other things that don't fit in any other forum
busco
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

file rescue...help!

Post by busco »

hi
am new to the site and have a off beat question. i have had a hardware problem. i recently had a hard drive go bad with 70 gigs of images on it, i can still access the drive but cant open the files to move them. does anybody know of a scanning software that will save photographic images off a drive? have tired the CF programs but they wont work on a drive ,and one german program but its uses a compresion program that photoshop cant read. any ideas
thanks

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Mac or PC? On the Mac you can use utilities such as Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive's directory to where it can be accessed properly again.

There is also image recovery software such as File Salvage (please Google) that scans even bad drives and recovers all sorts of files, including images. I have seen it work several times.

Tip: Also back up your images to DVD media as you go along... That gives you a more stable hard copy, as opposed to relying on a volatile hard drive.
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

busco
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

help

Post by busco »

sorry, its a PC and yes i do backup on dvds but this was a recent shoot and i was a little lazy...which always when things like this happen... thanks for the tip will try your suggestions