I have many Help questions

General Remaks about our web site or other things that don't fit in any other forum
LaTootsie

I have many Help questions

Post by LaTootsie »

Wow, It's been a long time since I have been to your site. And at that time I was downloading plugins and never went exploring in your site. Now I have a new Dell and I am having to start all over again on plugins. This time I see you have added more to your filters (3.0) and after unzipping it and extracting to my plugins folder I cannot find them in my PSP7 plugins. I found the others I downloaded. Any hints would be helpful, also after converting the gradients I downloaded from jpg to jgd which is what the other gradients are, all yours appear like the same identical blob, any clues as to why?
I love making anything to do with graphics. Animations are my favorite. I am disabled and cannot leave my home, and I've explored the internet trying to find a job doing graphics, I even posted resumes and all the reponses were for me to relocate and that is impossible, do your know of any kind of freelance job search description of what I might be eligible for or what I should keyword in google to find one. A friend of my daughter loved my work and bought me a new Dell computer with all the extras, he even paid for me a web site for a year and I am trying to sell some there but I just found out that I have to have money to enter into a good search engine in order for people to be able to find my site. Any suggestions on job descriptions? I would love for you to go to my site and give me your view about my work, heck my family and friends might think my work is good " of course they will say that" but I really need someone like you who knows all about graphics to give me a honest opinion. My site adress is www.graphisbylatootsie.com . I even love just cutting out, and because of boredom I am designing a catalog for my best friends 1000's of pieces of ceramics at no charge. Please I can take criticism. I put some sample pages for her to view on my site under "Visit Cyndi" Why do you not have the graphics contest anymore. I just found them on your site and would have like to entered. Then I would have gotten an answer that way. "hint,hint" will there be any more contest? Thanks,LaTootsie

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: I have many Help questions

Post by HaraldHeim »

LaTootsie wrote:This time I see you have added more to your filters (3.0) and after unzipping it and extracting to my plugins folder I cannot find them in my PSP7 plugins. I found the others I downloaded. Any hints would be helpful,
Harry's Filters 3.0 now appear on "The Plugin Site" sub menu in your graphics application. Please also make sure that you installed them to a folder that is registered as a plugin path in PSP's Preferences.

LaTootsie wrote:also after converting the gradients I downloaded from jpg to jgd which is what the other gradients are, all yours appear like the same identical blob, any clues as to why?
Harry's Gradients are for meant for video editing applications like Adobe Premiere or After Effects. Of course you can also try to use them in graphics applications e.g. as a layer with a certain blend mode. But that's not what they were created for.
I love making anything to do with graphics. Animations are my favorite. I am disabled and cannot leave my home, and I've explored the internet trying to find a job doing graphics, I even posted resumes and all the reponses were for me to relocate and that is impossible, do your know of any kind of freelance job search description of what I might be eligible for or what I should keyword in google to find one.
I guess a good step is to open up a homepage where you describe your skills and show examples of your work. But that won't bring your any clients in the short run. There are surely some web sites where you can submit your info so that you are displayed as a graphics designer. Another possibility is to look out for potential clients on the internet and offer them your service. For example if you find an interesting web site whose design isn't that good, you could offer your help. Don't hesitate to offer your skills for free at first. That way you get contacts and have examples that you can present to future paying clients.

A friend of my daughter loved my work and bought me a new Dell computer with all the extras, he even paid for me a web site for a year and I am trying to sell some there but I just found out that I have to have money to enter into a good search engine in order for people to be able to find my site.
You can either pay for Google ads or you can try to optimize your site and get as many links as possible from other web sites to your site. That way it is more likely that are displayed in Google for free.

Any suggestions on job descriptions? I would love for you to go to my site and give me your view about my work, heck my family and friends might think my work is good " of course they will say that" but I really need someone like you who knows all about graphics to give me a honest opinion. My site adress is www.graphisbylatootsie.com.
You had a typo in the URL. You forgot the "c" in graphics. Anyway, I'll try to be honest. Your website design looks like the typical PSP web site. Nothing wrong about that, but if you want that your visitors perceive you as an artists with its own special style, you should change the web site design.

I don't know if offering only animations for purchase is the best business idea. There is surely a bigger market for special logos or custom graphics. Not everyone wants to put animations on his web sites.

Your animations are certainly nice and attractive. But if you want to appeal to a broad range of customers, you should offer animations or graphics of different styles. Some people like more an abstract style without any ornamentations, some want only a few ornamentations, others uniformly colored and so on.

Why do you not have the graphics contest anymore. I just found them on your site and would have like to entered. Then I would have gotten an answer that way. "hint,hint" will there be any more contest?
There will probably be a new contest this year. There are more and more contributers for each new contest, so it means a lot of work to keep such a contest.

LaTootsie

Many, many thanks

Post by LaTootsie »

:D oops! sorry about the "c". Now this ole granny has got a new toy to play with, Harry's Filters 3.0 is fun,fun,fun.. :D : :lol: : :wink:
Your suggestions about adding abstract and different styles will be my next goal, Believe it or not my mind is in an abstract kind of way and I didn't really know if that is what people will go for. I have about 100 different logos I had made for my web site that are really totally different, I can use them for examples.
Your idea about offering my services for a web site that needs a little emphasizing has too crossed my mind, I was afraid that they would take it as an insult. I offer my services for free all the time to people I know, just so I will have something to do. So that will be no problem.
??What did you mean when you said "you can try to optimize your site" I will do it if I knew what it means, sorry, I'm not use to computer lingo.
Again I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help and advise I will do everything you say and if I get anywhere I will truly let your advise and help be recognized. LaTootsie

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Many, many thanks

Post by HaraldHeim »

LaTootsie wrote:Your idea about offering my services for a web site that needs a little emphasizing has too crossed my mind, I was afraid that they would take it as an insult.
Well, if you write "The graphics on your web site are quite ugly. I can do some better ones for you.", you will probably have no luck unless you write to someone who really hates his web site :-). You have to point out the good things about the site at first and then you can tell them that that this or that could deserve a bit of improvement. Then it is more likely that they will be interested in your services.
LaTootsie wrote:"you can try to optimize your site" I will do it if I knew what it means, sorry, I'm not use to computer lingo.
Well, I meant making your web site more attractive for search engines. There is a lot of info on such topics around the web. You just have to look in the right places. As almost everyone uses Google the best thing is to have a lot of links from other web sites to your web site.
Again I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help and advise I will do everything you say and if I get anywhere I will truly let your advise and help be recognized. LaTootsie
Good luck and all the best for your business!

Harry

Roo
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Roo »

I agree. If you want to Freelance, you need to make a business site. Textures scream 'personal homepage'.

To do freelanceing, you want to appeal to the business world.

Animations are a considered a no no...they are distracting to the end user, and also takes thier eyes away from your content.