Plugin To apply Metallic look to images

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
FuzzyPete
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Plugin To apply Metallic look to images

Post by FuzzyPete »

Some years ago I had a Wacom tablet which came with some free plugins. With one of them I could apply metallic and other finishes using the pen eg I could take an image of a building and turn the door fittings etc to silver by using the brush tool.
That was in my W98/ PS5.5 day, however, time passes and things change so the plugin got lost when the tablet expired and was replaced. I now have a need for that plugin but cannot remember its name and don't know if it would work with W7 and CS5 if I found it.

So can any one help me to find that plugin or a suitable alternative to do what I want to
thanks
Fred

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Plugin To apply Metallic look to images

Post by HaraldHeim »

Indeed Wacom delivered some Photoshop plugins called Pentools with their tablet in the old days. These plugins were created by Wacom itself if I remember correctly.

I found the following comment on another forum: "I really like the Pentools filters myself,but I was told by a Wacom technician that they can make PS crash and that if you are having problems with PS and running a Wacom a good canditate for causing the problem can often be the Pen tools filters.Any time I have re installed the filters in the plugins folder and re started PS I have always had trouble later on .......its a real shame."

So it seems you need to look for an alternative. You can apply every Photoshop filter with a brush if you apply it to a layer and reveal its effect by painting on the layer mask with the brush tool.

Foe example, Plugin Galaxy (see http://www.thepluginsite.com/products/plugingalaxy/) offers a metalic effect (called Fusion), but I am not sure if it is similar to the Wacom effect or not.

FuzzyPete
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by FuzzyPete »

Thank you very much Harald
I recall it now. it was indeed Pentools which came with a Wacom Graphire tablet the slow mouse with it was delightful and was a pleasure to use. My Bamboo isn't quite the same, but perhaps that is just nostalgia.

I shall try the layers method you suggest I had not thought about doing this
thanks again

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Someone told me that the Wacom Pen Tools can still be downloaded at
ftp://ftp.wacom-europe.com/pub/PenTools/