Photo postprocessing effect for colors

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
argonyx
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Photo postprocessing effect for colors

Postby argonyx » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Dear experts,

I see sometimes photos with vivid beautiful colors taken in clubs or stage, with flash. It is obvious that the result is achieved using some effect and I would so much like to find out how to achieve it.

I attach an example of what I mean.

As you see, the colors of the clothing are vivid but the skin remain natural or I would even say that also the skin has a nice texture.

I have tried different combinations in Photoshop, including vibrancy. But I don't seem to be able to reproduce such thing. Most of the time the effects also destroy the skin.
You see, there are two things: first is the skin texture, it doesn't shine. Then there is this uniform color on the guy's clothing. It looks like the color bandwidth has been shorten or shifted, I don't know.
I am pretty sure that this is no effect one can achieve using basic manipulation, there must be some special process.
So I'm pretty sure it is a plugin. Also because I know that these photographers publish hundreds of photos already the day after a party, it would take much longer to work manually on all these details.

I appreciate any advice on how to achieve a similar result from my RAW photos.

Cheers,
Andra

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Photo postprocessing effect for colors

Postby HaraldHeim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:35 pm

If you look at the shadows below the chins, you can see that the main light is quit soft and came from above, so it was very likely bounced from the ceiling. Additionally there are highlights in the girl's eyes, which can be achieved by attaching a white card to your flash, so that a small part of the flash light is reflected frontally.

So in essence: Attach a white or silver card to your flash with the help of a rubber band and point your flash to the ceiling.

This is my favorite flash technique, by the way, as it usually produces the most pleasing results by turning one flash into two different light sources.

Return to “Photoshop”