Happy PSP7-user curious about PSP8

Comments and discussions about Paint Shop Pro from Corel and formerly JASC
TARL_FURY
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Happy PSP7-user curious about PSP8

Post by TARL_FURY »

So far, I haven't heard/read anything about PSP8 that would make me want to upgrade to v8.0 from v7.04.

One of the earliest criticisms of v8.0 that I read was that it wasn't a TRUE "upgrade"....kinda like WinXP, which was to Win2000 Pro what Etch-a-Sketch was to Leonardo da Vinci.

"Dumbing DOWN" a superior product so that newbies find it easier to play with is not an upgrade. I want MORE CONTROL over the lowest basic parameters...not a program that purports to do ALL of my thinking for me...

I have also read that new limitations on plugin functionality caused some people problems when using some of the larger, more-complicated plugins, such as AutoFX Dreamsuite and Deep Paint.

But all of that is heresay, because I have no way of knowing for myself.

My personal philosophy is "if it AIN'T broken, do NOT fix it!"...this especially applies to computers/Windows systems.

Any thoughts from some reasonably well-experienced graphic artists who have used both PSP7 and PSP8?
Last edited by TARL_FURY on Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
repeat after me : "I will not hype craptacular software."

Jaci
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Jaci »

I tried v8 and didn't like it at all - one of the things that I hated the most were the previews that took forever to show up (for effects).

But now I really wouldn't bother with v8 since Jasc has released a Beta version of PSP9 and it does seem to have better features than 8 (or at least features that I would actually use).[/b]

TARL_FURY
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by TARL_FURY »

Thank you for your quick reply, Jaci. :D

PSP9?! Even in BETA, this is a very interesting development.

I'm hoping that we all have a lot to look forward to, and very very soon.
repeat after me : "I will not hype craptacular software."

chaitereye
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

PSP7 vs 8

Post by chaitereye »

I have both installed but still use 7 more. When in the animation program 7 allows you to export frames into PSP & then back again. For some reason, 8 doesn't allow it. The only things I like more is the balls & bubbles feature. Plus, it allows you to view & apply picture frames much easier then 7. Would be curious to see how PSP9 works.
Creatively Yours,
EYE-lene!

ha_ma
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by ha_ma »

Hi,

It's kind of late to replay in May 2005 (especially since there is now even PSP 9.x on the market) but I do it anyway. Using heavily PSP for years since 4.x I had the same doubts. However, I checked it out, upgraded and never looked back to v7. It takes a few days to get accustomed to the newer look with the grouped tools like Photoshop. First you will search a bit in the beginning because the pull down menus have changed slightly, but that's it. Yes ... you definitely have more control and using it as a strong substitute for Photoshop, you do need the more commercial v8.01!

P.S. I even have the PSP 9 on my computer ( next to v8 ) but like the pure options of v8 more and stick more to it. Both version are full versions (no upgrade) in order to avoid software piracy issues. The new features from v9 are not so much more to call it a neccessity but upgrading from v7 to v8 is !
Creating Photo Art and for a visual world