Photomatrix Plug in

Comments and discussions about Paint Shop Pro from Corel and formerly JASC
sbanner
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Photomatrix Plug in

Post by sbanner »

Does any one out there know if the Photomatrix Plugin works in Paint Shop Pro.
I use PSP X

Thanks

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Why don't you download it from
http://www.hdrsoft.com/download/pluginwin.html
and try yourself?

However, I fear that it will not work in PSP, because PSP does not let Photoshop plugins process 16bit images (something that I always found annoying about PSP) and the Photomatix plugins requires 16bit images.

D_Spider
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by D_Spider »

Harry, PSPX can process 16-bit images. Are you saying that Corel has fixed it so that plugins that need 16-bit images won't work with the PSP versions that support 16-bit? I do not doubt you, but I want to be sure before I have a new anti-corel apoplectic fit.

(People with PSP are using Photomatix, but I don't know if any of them are using PSPX. There was a thread on the PSPUG forums about it within the past two months.)

HDR Shop (version 1) is a standalone that works like a plugin for HDR images. It's $100 cheaper than HDR Shop 2.0 and the current version of Photomatix. One can use it also for not-quite-truly-"high"-DR photos, for extending the dynamic range of images the exposures for which are only a couple of stops apart. Freeware, only 800 kb, stable. from http://projects.ict.usc.edu/graphics/HDRShop/
D_Spider

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I do not know how it is with PSP X2, but PSP X and PSP XI do not allow you to apply Photoshop plugins to 16bit images. So if you could try to apply a plugin that supports 16bit images (e.g. the Photomatix plugin or one of my PhotoWiz plugins) in PSP X2 to a 16bit image, it would be nice to know what you found out.

I would be very suprised if it worked in PSP X2. PhotoImpact has the same problem. Not sure about Photo-Paint.

D_Spider
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by D_Spider »

I have only PSP5 and PSPX, and no plans to "up"grade. But I'll ask someone who has X2 and who works with 16-bit files.

Now I'll go and have my anti-Corel fit.

Edit: sorry I didn't add this sooner!
The person who uses Photomatix and PSPX2 uses Photomatix as a standalone, not as a plugin.
Last edited by D_Spider on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
D_Spider

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

I checked Corel's site and see no mention of 16 bit support.
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

D_Spider
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by D_Spider »

plugsnpixels wrote:I checked Corel's site and see no mention of 16 bit support.
Go to http://support.corel.com/scripts/rightn ... td_alp.php , use PSP in the dropdown, and 16 bit in the search box.
But it's not much help at all, and when I asked them about it in a support-email-request, the answer was of even less help.
D_Spider

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The FAQ only mentions the PSP commands that work with 16bit, but says nothing about .8bf plugins. Anyway, I just downloaded the trial version of PSP X2 and tested it:

PSP X2 still does not allow Photoshop plugins to be applied to 16bit RGB images!!!