GrowCut 2.0 Plugin isn't working in PSP v10

Comments and discussions about Paint Shop Pro from Corel and formerly JASC
D_Spider
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

GrowCut 2.0 Plugin isn't working in PSP v10

Post by D_Spider »

I'm using PSP v10.03 (all patches except the one for Vista, which I don't need). I installed GrowCut2.0 for the 2nd time (1st time, I put it into my own plugins directory, got the error message, so this time I let it install itself into Corel\...PSPX\plugins). This version of GrowCut, the developers say, is compatible with PSP9 on... and XP, which I am running. Their installation process automatically found the plugins directory I mentioned above; after installing, I checked Preferences>FileLocations and yes, that directory is where PSPX looks for plugins. And under Effects > Plugins, GrowCut is not grayed out. It is there.

But when I try to use it, I get the message about maybe the installation was incomplete or defective and maybe the plugin is missing files. (This time, I used a freshly downloaded installation file, since the 1st one got the error message, and I wanted to be sure...)

Can anyone, please, give me some advice?
D_Spider

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If the installation contains some .dll files, PSP may not find them. Copying them to the System32 folder may help. But I am only guessing here. I might be wrong and GrowCut is not compatible with PSP at all.

D_Spider
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by D_Spider »

Thanks, Harry. GrowCut is just the .8bf file, but your comment made me look for it, and it's in PSPX\Plugins\iPhotoSoft\GrowCut\2.0\ --which seems to me rather far in for PSP to find it in \Plugins. I'll try moving the .8bf into the PSPX\Plugins directory and see what happens. And since it's an .8bf, I'll try putting it in the directory where my PSP5 looks for plugins; I have more faith in the old, simpler program when it comes to plugins, anyway.
D_Spider

D_Spider
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by D_Spider »

I've pretty much given up... The GrowCut developer answered my email and gave me three new DLLs, which I put in the PSP (Program Files) folders and in the System32 folder; GrowCut shows in the list of plugins--not grayed out--but neither PSP5 nor PSPX can access the plugin. I'd sure be happy if someone could tell me the secret....
D_Spider

eritott
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

GML Grow Cut.

Post by eritott »

Hi,
Have been using the GrowCut Mask 1_1 both in PSP 9 and XI and works fine. But when installing it make sure that you install it NOT in "plugins" as it suggests, but in C:\......\My Documents\My PSP Files\Plugins.
And I just double clicked on the GML GrowCut.exe and as said, working perfect, and is a very fast way of cutting out objects.
Have a better day.
eric

D_Spider
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by D_Spider »

Thanks for that information! I moved the GrowCut2.0 into the folder you suggested, but I got the same response ('incorrectly installed or missing files' message) from PSPX. But after searching and searching, I found a site with GrowCutMask !!

It is here:
http://www.photofiltregraphic.com/02pre ... t_mask.htm

You get the download by choosing "4.Chargez GrowCut Mask (V 1.1) sur le bureau ici" from the menu on that page.

Here's hoping....
D_Spider

HannaK
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

GrowCut

Post by HannaK »

Hi everyone
I did install the plugin - looks nice in the peview but the final result
is only BLACK&WHITE mask!
I am using PSP9

Thanks for any help
Hanna :cry:

D_Spider
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by D_Spider »

The plugin you get from that link is "GrowCutMask" v1.1 --so, yes, the result is a mask. I think you can use it this way:
-make a duplicate layer of your image
-use GrowCutMask on that layer. The result is the mask, and below that in the layers palette should be your original-image layer. Activate (highlight) this bottom (original-image) layer.
-do New Mask > From Image > Source Luminance > don't check "invert"
-when you merge the mask with the layer right under it, and then ungroup the layer group, the result is the object you cut out of the image when you used GrowCutMask.

If this doesn't work, have the mask open in your workspace, then open your image and do New Mask > From Image > Source Luminance > don't check "invert" and when the dialog asks what image to use as the mask, be sure to use the dropdown and choose whatever filename the mask has, and proceed as the previous paragraph says.

GrowCut 2.0 apparently produces an image, not a mask. But it isn't freeware (and I could not get it to install so that PSPX or PSP5 could find it, not even with the DLLs that the GrowCut developers sent me).
D_Spider

HannaK
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

thanks

Post by HannaK »

Thanks so much for your detailed replay
Have a wonderful day
Hanna :lol:

HannaK
Plugin Master
Plugin Master