AutoFX Photographic Edges presets problem

Comments and discussions about other graphics tools
Frouwke
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

AutoFX Photographic Edges presets problem

Post by Frouwke »

I can't choose from any presets... I've looked in the directory, but I think all the presets are there, doing fine and dandy. :?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8458 ... ted7ve.png

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I think you need to install PGE again to get back the presets.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

I'm seeing this same thing on my Mac too shortly after a fresh install. I need to investigate further and see what's going on.
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

Frouwke
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Frouwke »

Hmmm, I reinstalled it, but there still ain't any presets. I looked into the "Content" directory, but everything is there. Maybe it's a linking failure somehow. Maybe it's because I didn't install it on C: ? I mean, AutoFX has pretty instable software, so yeah. XDD

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Well, some presets appear and others don't. I don't know what can be done to fix it.

Auto FX software is several years old now, but thankfully they still work overall! They are nice apps that would do well to be updated and made more efficient.

Tip: Run Auto FX apps as standalones rather than as plug-ins. I've got a gig of RAM on this particular iMac and it's still not enough to support their apps as plug-ins (lack of memory errors).
www.plugsandpixels.com

Frouwke
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Frouwke »

I'm using it as a stand alone. This can't be my computer's problem. :?

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Sounds like a good example of a software bug!

I'm hoping Auto FX will work on some updates soon. From my recent correspondence with them I know they're aware their software is not compatible with Photoshop CS3, so perhaps it is time for some recoding.
www.plugsandpixels.com

Frouwke
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Frouwke »

I think it's just weird they won't show me any presets! I mean, I've looked in all the directories, and everything's just there. :?

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

I think I may have solved the mystery!

I went trolling around in the PGE subfolders, and noticed that under Plug-Ins>Adobe Photoshop Only>PGE>Dreamsuite>Effect Presets, every preset folder was empty EXCEPT Layers!

So I went back to the PGE interface, and instead of accessing the presets from the PhotoGraphic menu at upper left, I tried the Layer Presets menu up top. Every effect was accessible and applicable from the dialog.

Next I got brave and manually copied the various contents of the Layers folder into the appropriate empty neighboring folders, according to name. I kept the original items in the Layers folder as is.

The result is, I now have complete sets of presets no matter how I access them!

So we may have discovered a problem with the PGE installer not populating the presets folders as expected. Let me know if this "hack" works for you!

I should add that these effects are quite nice and still relevant, despite being several years old.
www.plugsandpixels.com