Installing and using non-Photoshop filters in OS X

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
Richard R

Installing and using non-Photoshop filters in OS X

Post by Richard R »

Hi,

I've been a casual Photoshop user for years, mainly for playing with photos, so I've never, until recently felt the need to add plug-ins. Now I'd like to, but even following the instructions on the Adobe Help website, I can't seem to get freeware 3rd party filters to run. I have kept them in the folders they came in (for examle, "DE-fantazm-1.0, "KPT Effects"), in the Adobe 7.0 folder, but not in Plug-ins, as instructed, then restarted Photoshop. I still can't get them to show up in the Filter menu though. What am I doing wrong? Have I left out a step?

Thanks,
Richard R

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Plugins need to be placed inside the Plug-Ins sub folder of the Photoshop folder. So you can try moving the plugin folders ("DE-fantazm-1.0, "KPT Effects") into the Plug-Ins sub folder. If that doesn't work, you will have to reinstall them and choose the Plug-Ins sub folder as the destination folder.

Some plugins are only available for OS 9, so to make them work, you'll have to run Photoshop 7 in Classic Mode. To do that you have to click on the Photoshop icon, select Get Info from the File menu and activate the Classic Mode check box.