Depth of field Generator / photoeffect blurring out of focus

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
Rilo
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Rilo »

I'm looling for filter / tools that generate a nice Depth of field blurring effekt (like out of focus photos) with nice bokeh-effect and highlighting lights e.g.
I know there is a simple filter in photoshop (at least in CS-Version) beside the normal gaussian blurring. This renders some acceptable results with adjustable (aperture-blade settings and clipping of highlights).

I also know the plugin of richard rosenman which is supposed to be very nice.

But I wonder what else is in the market and top of the art apps for high end sophisticated renderings.

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot!

Rilo
best regards,
Rilo

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Have a look at Lenscare from www.frischluft.com. I think it is produces the most realistic DOF effect. Unfortunately it renders very slow (which may explain the great quality) and needs huge amnount of RAM if you work with hi-res photos.

Rilo
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Thank you!

Post by Rilo »

Hi Harald,

thank you for the information.
Will try that out.

The tool of Richard Rosenman seems to do quite a reasonable job too, but also seems to be extremly slow (even in the demo-preview).
best regards,
Rilo

Rilo
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Rilo »

I found a new plugin from a japanese site, called Iris-filter:

http://www.reiji.net/iris-e/pro.html

The HP looks nice but the tryout doesnt really work with mit PS-CS.

Did any one try this out ?

Are there any other plugins like these, maybe cheaper or as freeware ?

It should be quick and produce photorealistic results with variable lens-flare-effects.

Thanks and best regards,
Rilo
best regards,
Rilo

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Rilo, I spent a little time with Iris filter from Japan in Photoshop under Mac OS9. It seemed to have a lot of potential, but I couldn't get the provided serial numbers to work (horrible activation scheme).

Another developer should try this idea! He didn't update the plugin for Photoshop, only for video editing apps. Each of the iris settings is saved as an image file.

You might try some of the plugins listed under "Creative Effetcs>Focus Adjustment" at my Plugs N' Pixels website (http://www.plugsnpixels.com/imageeffects.html).

Mike
www.plugsnpixels.com
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

Rilo
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Rilo »

Thanks, Mike.

The tools you provide are not right what I want - they are more for playing with special effects, not so much for realistic out-of-focus manipulations.

I tried the demo of Irisfilter - it didnt work with my PS at all - when I tried to set some settings, the complette programm closed.

I really wonder what is the best tool for that purpose in the market.

Maybe lenscare, maybe richard rosenmans DOF pro ?
best regards,
Rilo