NEF plugin for photoshop

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
Han
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

NEF plugin for photoshop

Post by Han »

My problem is viewing NEFs.

I have a computer running photoshop 7 under windows 2000. Photoshop is not recognising NEF files, as in, when I go to open files and select "all formats" it still doesn't recognise NEFS. When I try to run the NEF from windows explorer, photoshop tells me it's not the right kind of document.
Under windows 98 I don't have this problem, the NEFs are visible.

Can I fix the problem by finding a plugin which supports (and lets Photoshop recognise) NEFs? I looked through the plugin page at Photoshop and couldn't see anything to do with file conversion and types.

Anyway, if someone could direct me to a plugin that would be great.
Thanks.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Adobe used to sell the Camera RAW plugin for opening NEF files, but since it became part of Photoshop since CS, it isn't sold anymore. It also depends from which camera these NEFs are produced. If it is a newer camera, the old Camera RAW 1.0 plugins won't open them.

Basically you have the following options:

1. Buy the old Camera RAW plugin from a private person. No garantee that it will work with your NED files.
2. Convert the NEF files to TIF files with another tool before opening them in Photoshop 7.
3. Upgrade to Photoshop CS or CS2.

Han
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

NEF problem

Post by Han »

I tried using a program called Irfan view to convert them. It works, only it makes the photos a lot darker. Are there any high quality (free) converters that you know of that will replicate photoshop's quality?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You can have a look at RAWShooter from www.pixmantec.com, but I would recommend the commercial version if you don't want to edit the photos in Photoshop again. Otherwise the freeware version should be fine. Also have a look at Capture One from www.phaseone.com