Old Plugins Updating

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
neverlus
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Old Plugins Updating

Post by neverlus »

Hello there,
I came accross this board and websiite in a search for help.
And i hope someone can help me.
I work for a newspaper up here in canada, and we are debating on the switch to Apple OS X from OS 9. Most of the bugs we are working out right now but we have run into a snag.
I have this old plugin for photoshop 6 it has to do with images that have been compressed by an application that is no longer being made/updated.

Now CS2 in OS X does NOT seem to recognize this plugin.
But it was built to work with photoshop, so i am guessing that there is a way too some how update the plugin. Does anyone know of any software out there that can update old plugins to newer plugins?

Thank you foor your time and or any help you can give me.
Don't sweat it none of us make it out of here alive.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Photoshop plugins that were created for OS 9 and earlier don't work under OS X anymore. The only way is to run Photoshop 7 in Classic Mode under OS X. That requires that you have OS 9 installed on the same computer.

If you want to run this plugin in Photoshop CS or CS2, you need to contact the person or company who created this plugin and ask them to create an OS X version of it.

Other than that you could resave your images into a more common format before you switch to OS X.

neverlus
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by neverlus »

thanks for your input.

unfortunatly the company that made the plugin is gone when the founder passed away.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

neverlus, please tell us more about this plug-in. Are you trying to rescue previously compressed photos, or continue compressing them?
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

neverlus
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by neverlus »

no no nothing like that.
Working in a press room. Basically what this plugin is, is it compresses them into a certain file format. Some weird Tiff format, called Solo Tiff. What this plugin does is it allows us to retrieve these files from a server and when we access the software it opens up a window full of pics, with crop marks, and direction on what size the Editorial staff would like it and where it they want it saved. And thats it. Unfortuantly the software was created locally by a company that no longer exists so there is no upgrade to it. I didn't think it would be too difficult to some how port the program to OS X but at this point it seems that it will not happen. Plus, not everyone is in OS X right now. Only a select few machines have been given the privllage.

I think everybody knows what it's like when you have a great set up at home and you have to come to work everyday and hang your head thinking "Just one upgrade, just one, ONE!"

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

I see. Sounds like you had a custom software solution, which was nice, but dangerous! I guess your options are: 1) Somehow get ahold of the source code from a family member or reverse engineer the plug-in (both options assume you can get someone to do the upgrade coding), 2) find a similar alternative, or 3) change your workflow.

All tough choices! How are other papers handling this type of workflow?
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com