dot drawing filter

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
murtle
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

dot drawing filter

Post by murtle »

Can anyone suggest a filter that will transform my color photos into black and white drawings that look like they were made by a pen using a dot technique? The one PS calls pointilize doesn't really do it.

I'm using PS Elements 3 with Mac OS10.3.

artzend
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Pointilize

Post by artzend »

Hi,

I use Pshop and with it, to achieve a result like you are looking for, you change the image from rgb to grayscale and then to bitmap.

First you will need to lighten your image, I use the layers pallette and duplicate the layer and set the resolution to Screen. This may need to be repeated and the amount of lightening adjusted by the opacity sliders.

Then

Image >grayscale
Image>bitmap

Now set the resolution to something like 150dpi in the box that is presented and use diffusion dither.

You can experiment with these settings but the key to the whole thing is having the initial image light to start with.

Artzend

murtle
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

dot drawiing filter

Post by murtle »

not bad but it still doesn't really look like it was done with a pen

artzend
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by artzend »

Keep fiddling with the settings and the resolutions. I can get pretty close to the look with the images I am working with. I had to change sizes and resolutions to get it to work properly because I wanted that look for a book.

In the end I lightened my images so they were very washed out which removes a lot of dots, and with my image set at 72 dpi I saved the bitmaps at 300 dpi with the dither.

The less info that you present to the bitmap process the better the dots work, so keep duplicating layers with the screen setting. You will have to print the image to see if it worked because it doesn't really look the same on a monitor.

Artzend

murtle
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by murtle »

I haven't had a chance to fiddle with the Adobe filters yet as Arzend suggested, but took a quick look at Photo to Sketch. Unfortunately it's Windows only, so I can't use it.