Page 1 of 1

a simple text filter plugin for edges

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:21 pm
by trodas
Hi guys.
I wasted hour and something by finding and trying some plugins and I still haven't figure out how to make SIMPLE edges like these:

(less brutal, I hope :oops: But I like the brutal one better, lol)

...on text. Maybe I'm just plain blind and there is a way to do it in Photoshop itself? I don't know and Im tired.

Anyone can enlighten me, please?

Win user, PS 6.01 :oops:

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:06 pm
by HaraldHeim
I prefered if you would have used a less brutal example image. So I removed it.

Anway, back to you question. You can create such text outlines by using the layer effects or layer style feature of Photoshop.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:04 pm
by trodas
Fine, what about this image then? :-?


And yout layers effects - well, this is kind of hassle, so, that is why I looked for plugin who could do this easy for me :wink:

But I'm still unsure - you mean type text, then select into the layers it's transparency (Select Layer Transparency) and then Select/Modify/Expand the border, say by 4 pixels, and then what?
Fill it not a possibilty unless you flatten the image and when you do, then you got only the shadow now.
So you have to type your text again and place it into the right spot, over the already done shadow, is that it?
Or you got faster way?

Again - I did not belaive these people on do it that way and if you visit this imageboard, then be prepared for shock, as much intense images that the one you feel inapropriate are displayed there...

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:30 pm
by trodas
Guys, I can't believe this is not a plugin for the outlined text :-?

Really everyone type the text, then go do the Load Selection and choose "text they type" Transparency option as New Selection and then go to Select / Modify / Border and Expand it by say 6 pixels? To now have rasterize the layer, fill the selection with color that belong to the border of choice and then type again the text and place it over the border, into middle of it, so it appears as outline? :o

Neverless this result still not looking very good anyways :-?

PS. much better solution is type the text and then use the Layers palete and set the style Stroke - outside, color and so... But then again it require typing the text in original color and placing it over the "stroked" one... A bit too much work, especially when one have then to join the visible layers to get the text movable with the "stroke" to see where it best fit on the image... :roll:

Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:29 pm
by HaraldHeim
You should be able to create such outlined text with the layer effects of your Photoshiop 6.01 application. Just type some text and then double click the text layer in the layer palette to display a dialog with effects. I am quite sure you can make outlined text with one of these effects.

If this info is not enough, please consult your Photoshop help files or manual about layer effects.

Outlined text

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:38 am
by Lesam
G'day Trodas,
I have written a small instruction on one way to do what you want, simple procedure.
It is in eml format, download from ... _Text.html