HDR fix: Lucis Art+Shadow/Highlight

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

HDR fix: Lucis Art+Shadow/Highlight

Post by plugsnpixels »

I've got a nasty example online (link below) of an extreme lighting situation: Lunchtime at the famous Farmer's Market in LA (where James Dean ate his last breakfast...). Shot with no fill flash on auto-exposure, the original is either too dark or too light with little middle ground.

I knew Lucis Art could pop open the shadows, which it did to a great degree.

Photoshop's native Shadow/Highlight also did a decent job on its own, but with less contrast/color and detail.

So! I applied Shadow/Highlight to the Lucis Art version, and got an excellent final result.

See a large version of these examples here.

Download the original unretouched camera image here.

See more Lucis Art corrected and creative-effect images here.
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Lucis Art turns the image into a graphic whereas Photoshop's S/H tool still kept the photographic quality. So as a photographer I would never use Lucis Art, but as a graphic designer I would use it for that effect.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Hi Harald,

That "look" is part of Lucis Art's charm, and is usually applied for artistic reasons ;-). Of course I could have backed it off by blending back the original (or even using the Exposure option instead of Sculpture).
www.plugsandpixels.com

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sure, but you should not compare Lucis Art with Photoshop's S/H tool if you want to create artistic effects. Photoshop's S/H tool is primarily designed for photographic and not artistic results.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

True. So let's open one of those challenges where The Plugin Site members download the original and apply different techniques to it to achieve a tonally balanced result. It should be interesting to see the different workflows.
www.plugsandpixels.com