CorelDraw import plug-in for Photoshop

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
Phil
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

CorelDraw import plug-in for Photoshop

Post by Phil »

Hi

Does anyone know of, or know where I could find a Photoshop plug-in for Mac which would allow me to import PC or Mac CorelDraw files (.cdr files)

Thanks

Phil

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I found a list of applications which support the CDR format at
http://www.softek.com/fileformat.htm

Additionally the freeware Irfan View (http://www.irfanview.com) has limited support for CDR and ThumbsPlus (http://www.cerious.com) seems to support CDR files, too.

I'm not sure if these applications fully support all features of the CDR format, but if you own one of them, you can use it to convert the CDR file to a more known format.

I never heard of a CDR import plugin.
Last edited by HaraldHeim on Wed May 21, 2003 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graphikris

Re: CorelDraw import plug-in for Photoshop

Post by Graphikris »

Phil wrote:Hi
Does anyone know of, or know where I could find a Photoshop plug-in for Mac which would allow me to import PC or Mac CorelDraw files (.cdr files)
Phil, Corel Draw supports a huge number of export file formats, and each has a slew of options for size, resolution, color management tags, etc.

Since CDR is vector-based, and PS is raster-based, you'll always have issues importing native files. However, if you export to TIFF (example),
you can specify the exact resolution of the export, along with other options, then just open the file in Photoshop. It will take some experimentation with color to get it the way you want it, but IMO it's the best solution for what you're looking for.

P.S. - for normal Illustration use (i.e. not web-specific work), you can pick up a copy of Corel 8 or 9 for a very low price. Then you can always upgrade to the current version (11?) if you need the web-specific stuff.

Hope this helps! :wink:

-kris (graphikris@cox.net)

majorspacecase

Importing CDR into Photoshop

Post by majorspacecase »

Note about using programs such as IrFan View & XnView to work with CDR files I've found that they only read the low-res tumbnail part of the file . I found this out because I have the old Corel Draw 3 CD & wanted to use some of the clipart in Photoshop without installing Corel. I did extensive Web searches for a CDR plugin or conversion program, but no luck (sorry). What I do is use Corel Draw and export into a format usable in Photoshop, specifing the output RES during export.

Phil
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

CorelDraw import to Photoshop

Post by Phil »

I've look too but no success. I need it because a client only has CorelDraw and I only have Photoshop - one is vector-based, one bitmap based. The answer may be for me to buy a cheap old version of CorelDraw or him a cheap early version of Photoshop?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Another solution is both of you save your files in a format that both of you can use. That would be a raster format, so your client would not be able to edit it in Corel Draw, but in Photo-Paint which is included with Corel Draw.

If your client primarily does vector graphics and you need to edit these graphics you should try to get CorelDraw 8 or 9 which is offered for $50 or less.

Post by guest »

Use EPS format for export

Paul Stricklin

CDR Export

Post by Paul Stricklin »

Savve important layers or maks to seperate files or Corel will flatten all your work into a single layer. If all you need is the final result works well butr no edi9ting of some of the special features. Picky but productive, besides th esaved layer are then available for other uses. :o