Plugin that runs in background and doesn't freeze main GUI

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
anv
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Plugin that runs in background and doesn't freeze main GUI

Postby anv » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Hello, I'm trying to create a Photoshop plugin that automates some tasks (like create new layers, save image, open another image, etc) that a user can do in Photoshop. Is it possible to make the plugin run sort of in a background thread, so that the main Photoshop gui does not freeze, so the user can keep painting and editing the image while the plugin runs? I was trying to do this with Photoshop scripting (JavaScript) first, for example create a script that saves the image in a background thread. Photoshop CS6 has a feature that you can save the image in the background and the gui doesn't hang, but calling this save feature from a script still results in the gui hanging, since the Photoshop gui just freezes whenever any kind of script runs. So, I'm wondering if plugins would let me get around the gui-freezing. Thanks for any help.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Plugin that runs in background and doesn't freeze main G

Postby HaraldHeim » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 pm

As far as I know background saving is not possible from a script or plugins. But better ask your questions at http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop where Adobe employees can answer that.

Return to “Photoshop-compatible Plugins”