Color Differentiating

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
fandeboris
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Color Differentiating

Postby fandeboris » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:23 pm

I am looking for a plugin that changes a black and white image to color based on the different shades of grey in the original image. I think it was originally used by astronomers to get small details from their photographs.

dvsprite
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Re: Color Differentiating

Postby dvsprite » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:19 am

Maybe the Gradient Map adjustment layer might work for you.
Here is a link to a screen capture image showing one of my grayscale photos plus a black to white gradient before and after a Gradient Map adjustment layer is applied. http://flic.kr/p/dyV6mw

Built into Photoshop since the 1990s, the GRADIENT MAP adjustment layer maps the colors and tones of a gradient to an image. The colors and tones of a gradient are mapped from left to right. Whatever is at the left edge of the gradient will be mapped to the darkest tone of the image. Mapping proceeds across the gradient until whatever is at the right edge of the gradient affects the lightest tone of the image.

You can use the built in gradients or have complete control over the process by creating your own custom gradients. An adjustment layer is non-destructive so can be changed at any time. Tutorials are available on the internet.

fandeboris
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Re: Color Differentiating

Postby fandeboris » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:54 pm

thank You!! That is it!
Your example was right on the money. I use Irfanview and GIMP which can use Photoshop plug-ins. But I didn't know what to call it.

Thanks again.

Return to “Photoshop-compatible Plugins”