HELP!! need to convert RGB to CMYK with Elements software

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
Barry L. Brumfield
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

HELP!! need to convert RGB to CMYK with Elements software

Post by Barry L. Brumfield »

Hey all. I'm new here; I’ve been enjoying your posts. I need some help and FAST. I just designed a speculative poster for the World Championship Offshore Powerboat Races. I built it on PhotoShop Elements. The poster was accepted and it will be used internationally. My BIG problem is how to convert the file’s RGB color mode to CMYK for the best professional printing quality. I don't have PhotoShop, only the Elements version which doesn’t support color mode conversion to CMYK.. Is there a downloadable plug in to make the RGB to CMYK conversion with? Alternatively, is there an upgrade online or at Office Depot or such to my Elements software to accomplish the conversion? I appreciate your help with this. I'm in a jam here and time is of the essence. Barry

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Congratulation on winning with your poster! As Photoshop Elements doesn't offer a CMYK color mode, I don't think that you can use it to convert the image to CMYK.

However, why don't you just hand in the RGB version of the image? You won't be the one who perpares the image for print, so why should you do the CMYK conversion? There are a lot of possible CMYK conversions, so it is best if the person who does the printing does the conversion.

Barry L. Brumfield
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Thanks Harald

Post by Barry L. Brumfield »

Harald, thanks for the response. I took your advice and spoke to the printer about them doing the color conversion. I'm sending them a color photograph that I made of the poster plus the PMS numbers for the major colors. That should work and the printer sounded confident that they could match my RGB colors.

What can you tell me about my being able to find a "used" and maybe yet unregistered copy of PhotoShop 7 or CS? I would also be interested in one of the bundles of software they offer at Adobe.

Can the software being resold or are they licensed only to the purchaser? I've now been given the contract to design the 68 page full color Offshore Race program. I need more than this Elements for sure. Kindly, Barry

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The cheapest way to get a copy of Photoshop is ebay. Make sure that you are bidding for an original version that is unregistered.