Improving preview images in the PhotoWiz applications

General discussions ColorWasher, FocalBlade, LightMachine, B/W Styler and ContrastMaster
DDR
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Improving preview images in the PhotoWiz applications

Post by DDR »

Dear all,

I use the PhotoWiiz applications over many years, with high order of satisfaction.... except of just one -- the preview images. Namely, --- when we open and edit a picture in any PhoroWiz application, the picture looks non smooth. In both the plugin and standalone version of PhotoWiz. In most cases, this sad fact unallows to control fine effects, because we do not see either the effect was applied or not.

Most editing and viewing software has embedded "smoothing" engine (Photoshop, Lightroom and others). This makes vieweing and editing images comfortable that is necessary for fine art photography. Even such simple picture viewer as FastStone has it. Look at the sample that below, please. I used BWStyler, but other PhotoWiz applications have the same problem. Photoshop and Lightroom provide smooth viewing images by default. FastStone was used in this example only because it has a button switching smooth/non-smooth so that the difference is seen very clear.

Non-smooth image. Poor view (just click to enlarge):

Smoothened image. Fine view (just click to enlarge).

I believe that this issue is highly important. If we like to make a fine art picture and keep control on all steps of the development. Therefore, I would like to focus the highly respected Developer on this problem. There can be a "smoot" button in the interface (of all PhotoWiz applications) or this function can be embedded by default as in Photoshop, for instance. No matter what. The main task is that the view should be smooth (not as now, see above). This may attract new users to my preferred photo-software, and satisfy the already users.

Thank you!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Improving preview images in the PhotoWiz applications

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks for your comment! I am aware of this issue. I will try to find a way to add some preview interpolation code as soon as possible. So far I wanted to add this together with a seamless zoom ratio feature, which would be much more work. But only adding bicubic interpolation to the preview pixels should be much easier and faster to do. I can also add a Smooth check box on the Prefs tab sheet to switch between the two.