insuffient RAM

FocalBlade specific discussions
phlegmatic2
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

insuffient RAM

Post by phlegmatic2 »

Help. I am using the focal bladeplug in with Photoshop 7 and have experienced the pop up insufficent RAM when I try to sharpen a 200MByte file. My system has a dedicated scratch disk and 1.5 Gbytes of RAM. I have tried setting PSRAM settings of100%, 75% and still get the error message. Is this a characteristic of Focal blade. Sholud also add cannot get a 100% preview (same pop up ) , only 50% or less.

P

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I found out that Photoshop only process images that are a bit less than half as large than the Memory Usage setting tells you. That is for the case that the plugin wants to process the image as a whole. This is a limitation of Photoshop. Some algorithms demand that the whole image is located in memory, so they can't be executed if there is not enough physical RAM. Other applications like Paint Shop Pro who don't refuse to use Virtual Memory, don't have this limitation.

If the plugin agrees to process the image in small tiles, there is no limit. Photoshop then uses the scratch disc to free memory and the plugin doesn't need much memory to process the image. However, the rendering is probably slowed down a bit.

The next version 1.01 of FocalBlade won't have any image size limitation in Photoshop anymore, because it will process images in tiles.

However, you should already be able to process a 200 MB image with FocalBlade 1.0. I only have 512 MB RAM on my machine and I was able to process a 220 MB image with Photoshop with a 100% Memory Usage setting. With your 1.5 GB RAM maybe it is better to set Memory Usage to 50%.

phlegmatic2
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Insufficient RAM

Post by phlegmatic2 »

Thanks Harold,

Tried your suggestion. At 50% PS forced to use scratch disk and the 220Megabyte file was processed without any popups abeit at a slow rate. I guess this is an example of less being more. Great product and thanks for the help.

P