FocalBlade's mask preview

FocalBlade specific discussions
mikea
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

FocalBlade's mask preview

Post by mikea »

I've just begun using FocalBlade. So far I've had a chance to use the program with only one image file, so it's a pretty small sample size to be sure. That aside...I've noticed that when I make even fairly extreme changes in the mask sliders, the look of the mask might change pretty dramatically but if I turn it off and return to the regular view of the image, I don't see a lot of change in its appearance. Is this expected? (I have noticed the same thing before in another sharpening program in which you can view a mask -- the mask might change pretty dramatically but the change in the image itself ranges from subtle to not visible at all...maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?)

I found that when the mask display is enabled, saving the results transforms the image within Photoshop to the appearance of the mask itself. You mentioned elsewhere that this is by design. Are there situations in which it would be a desirable change in the image? I don't know if I would need the feature but would be interested to hear how someone else might use it.

If the image in that form (say, the "x-ray" view) were accidentally transferred to the Photoshop editing buffer, is there a Photoshop setting to return quickly to the normal form of the image? Or would this basically require selecting Edit:Undo?

Thanks.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: FocalBlade's mask preview

Post by HaraldHeim »

I've just begun using FocalBlade. So far I've had a chance to use the program with only one image file, so it's a pretty small sample size to be sure. That aside...I've noticed that when I make even fairly extreme changes in the mask sliders, the look of the mask might change pretty dramatically but if I turn it off and return to the regular view of the image, I don't see a lot of change in its appearance. Is this expected? (I have noticed the same thing before in another sharpening program in which you can view a mask -- the mask might change pretty dramatically but the change in the image itself ranges from subtle to not visible at all...maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?)
If you apply an intense sharpening, the changes in the edge mask will be better visible in the sharpening. For low sharpening values it is quite difficut to see smaller changes in the edge mask. However, if you "deactivate" the edge mask by making the mask unform white, you will surely see the effect on the sharpening.

I found that when the mask display is enabled, saving the results transforms the image within Photoshop to the appearance of the mask itself. You mentioned elsewhere that this is by design. Are there situations in which it would be a desirable change in the image? I don't know if I would need the feature but would be interested to hear how someone else might use it.
The possibility to apply the edge mask itself was just added to produce special effects, e.g. to turn the image into a drawing. It has nothing to do with sharpening.

If the image in that form (say, the "x-ray" view) were accidentally transferred to the Photoshop editing buffer, is there a Photoshop setting to return quickly to the normal form of the image? Or would this basically require selecting Edit:Undo?
Just use Edit > Undo in Photoshop.