Focal Blade White Out

FocalBlade specific discussions
Fodoze

Focal Blade White Out

Post by Fodoze »

I'm using Focal Blade with PS 7.01 on XP Pro. Often, after using FocalBlade to sharpen a photo, when I attempt to sharpen the next photo with FocalBlade the image becomes whited out, as if it is terribly overexposed. If I close the image and reopen it the same thing happens, but if I close PS and reopen it then FocalBlade works correctly.

When the problem occurs, the preview image in FocalBlade looks normal but after clicking OK the PS image becomes overexposed.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix?

Thanks!

Doug

Same problem here

Post by Doug »

Seems to be happening on larger files for me. I used to get error messages and upgraded to 1 Gig of memory. Errors have gone away but now have that "overexposed"/whiteout look. I am at a loss for what to do.

Doug

UPDATE!

Post by Doug »

My memory setting in Photoshop 7 was set to use 100%. I backed it down to 75% and has worked on the 220MB file that was "over-exposing". Seems to be memory related.

Doug

Fodoze

That fixed it

Post by Fodoze »

I backed memory utilization off to 80% and it seemed to fix it. I hate to have bought all that high-speed memory and then have to disable part of it, but if it fixes the problem...

Thanks for your help!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

It is the first time that I hear about this problem. FocalBlade 1.01 is almost finished and may not have this problem anymore, because it will need almost no RAM for processing very large images. But I would like to convince myself.

Can anyone of you tell me if it occurs at a certain image size, how many RAM you have or any other conditions that need to be given to reproduce the problem?

Thanks!

Doug

File Size and Memory Amount

Post by Doug »

Hello Harald!

I can reproduce on 2 different systems. One has 512K RAM and the other has 1 GB. File size that I have reproduced this on is approx 220 MB. Once I shrank the file size to 150 MB or smaller, was OK. Also, changing the percentage in Photoshop (backing it down to 75% or I see Fodoze got his to work at 80%. Files are RGB TIF Images.

Doug

Fodoze

Post by Fodoze »

Hi, Harald.

I reproduced the problem on two systems, one with 512K RAM (1.13 GHz P3 laptop) and the other with 2GB RAM (3 GHz P4). My general image size is around 27 MB (as saved to disk). It always works OK for the first image, then fails on subsequent images.

Interestingly enough, it only happens on Photoshop. I'm using version 7.01. I just migrated from using Paint Shop Pro 7, and it never happened in PSP. (I'm not going back though!).

If you want me to test the beta of 1.01 and let you know if it happens there, I will be happy to do so. You can contact me via e-mail at Flash@Fodoze.com.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks, Fodoze, for testing the beta of FocalBlade 1.01 and letting me know that the White-Out-problem dissappeared.