Long exposure noise reduction

NoiseControl specific discussions
DDR
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Long exposure noise reduction

Post by DDR »

Noise Control currently contains the presets for noise removal which are ranged according to the ISO sensitivity of the matrix. That's right. DSRL presets (large matrix) cover the range of ISO from 200 to 102,000. However when making a shoot with a long exposure, the digital noise (both regular and colour noise) rises up highly. Even if shooting at ISO 100, no matter. The long-exposure produced noise looks similar to the high ISO noise, with only the difference that hot pixels appear, and the colour noise rises much more highly than the regular noise.

I therefore, when processing a long-exposure frame with Noise Control, set up ISO 6400, then open the bookmark "Manual" and move the respective sliders of Luminance and Colour to left and right until the noise becomes reduced in the preview window.

However think it would be good to include at least 3 presets, in addition to the DSRL and others, meaning the noise reduction for the long-exposed frames, i.e.:

DSRL 200-102400
Long exposure (light, medium, strong)
Compact 100-3200
Mobile 50-400

The long exposure presets could be based on DSRL 1,600, 6,400, and 25,600 presets, with only the difference that the luminance can be lowered while the colour noise reducing lifted.

In general, an expert can reduce the long exposure noise manually. But for the mass people who would be curious about the long exposure shooting of water (we see many such people in the internet) the presets would be helpful.

Note. All that has been said herein concerns only the fine art photography, not astrophotography and nightscape images containing large parts of starry sky: in those cases the noise reduction is processed in another way, based on the other principles realised in the special "astro-photo" software.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Long exposure noise reduction

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks for your useful comment. If you send me preset files of the suggested presets, I will gladly include them with the next NoiseControl update.

DDR
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by DDR »

I will analyse my long exposure presets to make three (light, medium, strong) for long exposure noise removal. I then will send the presets to you (may be next week).

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks! I am looking forward to them.