Camera Profiles

Discussions about MetaRaw
sankos
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Camera Profiles

Post by sankos »

I'd like to suggest a new feature for MetaRaw: camera profiles. Right now I assume MetaRaw uses the dcraw input (camera) profiles to create colours. What I'd like is having the choice of using either that or being able to apply dcp or icc profiles of my own. I calibrate my cameras with the Xrite plugin, the Adobe DNG Profile Editor or with DcamProf, so I have a bunch of profiles available. The free RawTherapee allows using those (and it was a game-changer for me) so I assume it could be done also for MetaRaw. What do you think?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Camera Profiles

Post by HaraldHeim »

At the moment MetaRaw uses Adobe Camera Raw opening the converted files in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, so it depends on Adobe Camera Raw what profile the final images uses. That's why you should set the same camera profile in MetaRaw and Adobe Camera Raw or a wider profile in MetaRaw (e.g. ProPhoto RGB).

Yes, it would be possible to make MetaRaw Converter use profile files, but that would require that it opens the images itself in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, which is not the case now. This also means that you cannot use Adobe Camera Raw adjustments - unless you apply "Camera Raw Filter" after the image was opened (although it would change the profile again if you used MetaRaw's Camera Raw Filter).

Such features are certainly something for MetaRaw 3, which would also make it possible to use MetaRaw in other applications, e.g. Paint Shop Pro.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Camera Profiles

Post by HaraldHeim »

By the way, if you use Photoshop and install your raw profiles in the default system folder for profiles, you can also choose your own profiles in Adobe Camera Raw. That does not work in Photoshop Elements though.