demos with watermarks and dead OK buttons are NOT freeware!

Comments and discussions about Harry's Filters

Am i the only one having this problem with "FREE" stuff?

Constantly
No votes
Frequently
50%
Occasionally
No votes
Rarely
No votes
Never
50%

Total votes: 2

dallasvista
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

demos with watermarks and dead OK buttons are NOT freeware!

Post by dallasvista »

The freephotoshop.com says that there are older versions of your plugins <b>FOR FREE</b>. Are they wrong? I'm ok with people trying to make a living doing what they love (i am trying that myself) but calling lobotomised demos Freeware is an abominable lie.

Are ANY of your filters <b>fully functional AND free?</b>

I refuse to send a dime to any developer or company that employs predatory demo practises - and i am VERY hopeful you are not one of those.

Sorry for the tone, but <b>i have been bled dry.</b>

Jaci
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Jaci »

Always refer to the developer's site for accurate information on their products instead of relying on other sites that may or may not provide the correct information.

A demo can be referred to as being freeware since you don't pay to download and install it (and some don't even expire), although this confusion should be avoided whenever possible - and the site you are referring to doesn't do this.

dallasvista
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by dallasvista »

I... will accept the rebuke. You are correct that it isn't Harry's fault that some other site calls the stuff freeware.

But i must say this - this site doesn't <b>clearly</b> say otherwise.

Harry's reply was prompt and courteous. Further rebuke after my tone, and i take it. Until his reply though - i had no idea which items were actually freeware.

I maintain that these lobotomised demos are rather predatory, if they are not CLEARLY labelled as (what i call) lobotomised. I may actually be dead wrong.

I am a hater of Bait-and-Switch in all its forms - and as such - i now feel i was hasty in using the frustrated voice in my message. Apologies all round.

The frustration was partly from the first time i tried to get these "freebies" a few years back (if memory serves) and ran into the same 'limitations'.

If anyone cares to answer - WHERE can one find actual freeware filters and plug-ins? Open source, perhaps.

Also: i have ideas for filters that would put tears in your eyes - and i can't figure out who i contact to try to get some of them made. If i knew how to make them, i likely would be too busy doing so to actually use them in my artwork. I'll ask Mr. Heim in my reply.

In case others wish to know, Mr. Heim's reply said:
<i>Demo does not mean freeware. It is a test version of a commercial product.
Here is what we offer as freeware:

The Zoom and PopArt plugins of Plugin Galaxy
Harry's Filters
PhotoFreebies
Plugin Commander Light
HTML Shrinker Light
Harry's Edges
Harry's Actions
Harry's Graphics Pack
Harry's Papers
Harry's Transitions
Harry's Gradients</i>

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I can understand your frustration that the most interesting plugins are commercial, but as their developers need to invest a large amount of time and money in them, they cannot give them away for free.

In the Download Center of The PluginSite the term "Demo" or "Trial" is alyways placed above the download link if it is not freeware. At http://thepluginsite.com/products/index.htm you can also see which of our products are commercial and which ones are freeware.

dallasvista wrote:If anyone cares to answer - WHERE can one find actual freeware filters and plug-ins? Open source, perhaps.
See
http://www.thepluginsite.com/resources/freeps.htm
http://www.thepluginsite.com/resources/freeff.htm

Also: i have ideas for filters that would put tears in your eyes - and i can't figure out who i contact to try to get some of them made. If i knew how to make them, i likely would be too busy doing so to actually use them in my artwork. I'll ask Mr. Heim in my reply.
Feel free to post your ideas here.

I usually also have a dozen ideas for new plugins in my head, but need to carefuly choose which ones to actually create. If I would spend hundreds of hours on a plugin which is only interesting for very few people, I would not be able to pay my bills.