Need help with converting Fireworks MX plugins!

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
augustroad
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Need help with converting Fireworks MX plugins!

Post by augustroad »

Hi all, thanks in advance for any help.

I've been a longtime windows user of Adobe/Macromedia Fireworks, and have always used the MX version until recently. I just upgraded to a new Macbook and was sad to see that the AlienSkin EyeCandy and Splat! Edges plugins weren't included anymore. I've become really attached to them.

I finally came across the paragraph on this web site (which I'll include below) that talks about how to convert these plugins. I dragged the 8bf files over from my Windows machine and put them into my Photoshop plugins folder, and tried to get Fireworks to load them up, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it not possible to take a Windows 8bf filter and bring it over to Mac?

Here's the paragraph and page I'm referencing... Thank you so much!

The Macromedia Fireworks MX and MX 2004 trial versions contains full versions of the BevelBoss and MotionTrial plugins of Alienskin EyeCandy 4000 and the Edges plugin of Alienskin Splat!. If you are lucky you may find the Fireworks MX or MX 2004 MX trial an old magazine cover CD, but you can also download it here: http://www.soft32.com/download_351.html. After you installed it switch to the Fireworks folder and open the Plug-ins sub folder. Now copy the Splat 8bf and dll files, the EyeCandy 8bf file and the two sub folders to your default plugin folder. Open the image application you usually use to apply plugins and there they are!
http://thepluginsite.com/resources/freeps.htm

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

A 8bf Windows file does not work on the Mac.

I do not know if the mentioned Alienskin plugins were included in the Mac version of Fireworks MX. If they were, then you should try to find the Mac trial version of Fireworks MX somewhere on the web and install it. Then you will be able to find the mentioned plugins in the Fireworks folder.

However, these will be PowerPC plugins, so if you want to use them in Fireworks CS4, you need to run it in Rosetta mode. To do that click on the Fireworks icon in the Fireworks folder, select File > Get Info from the top menu and activate the "Open with Rosetta" check box. However, this will make Fireworks run a bit slower.

The best solution would be to buy the latest versions of these plugins from www.alienskin.com. But as far as I know they do not sell Splat! anymore. But maybe you would be able to buy a copy elsewhere.

augustroad
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by augustroad »

Thanks very much for the help. I appreciate it.