repost about plugins

Comments and discussions about Paint Shop Pro from Corel and formerly JASC
WinB
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

repost about plugins

Post by WinB »

Hi, Harold asked me to post this again, as he accidentally deleted it.. I don't know if anyone responded with an answer... so here are the details again..
I have 2 students, one with Vista, one with XP, both using PSP 12 (not Ultimate).. for 8 weeks, their plugins have been working perfectly... then on Tuesday they installed Mura copies... and none of their plugins were visible after that, they were all greyed out.. I had them both re-establish the file location for the plugins, now the NAMES are visible, but all the flyout menus are still greyed out.
The one with Vista... I tried to have her install the FM Patcher, but her computer would not allow the file to be unzipped... I had her disable the user account control, she was able to unzip, but when she tried to install, it still prevented the installation because, being an exe file, the computer said it was a potentially damaging file...
They are desperate... does anyone have an answer, other than a system restore? The one using Vista is not very computer literate, and they have all their farm accounts and details on the computer, I don't want to stuff that up ... she is too far away for me to go out and do it for her, and I am not really familiar with Vista anyway... I can talk her through things over the phone, and I could get her daughter to go out.
I hope someone can hep.
Cheers
Win... in Australia

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Greyed out filters means that the opened image is not a RGB 24bit image, which is what most plugins demand. So you need to convert the image to RGB 24bit in PSP by using Image > Increase Color Depth > 16 Million Colors (24 bit) from the menu.

For installing the FM Patcher they should log in as the administrator. Maybe right clicking the .exe file and choosing "Run as administrator" may also help. Alternatively they should deactivate any virus scanner, firewall or security software (while making sure that they are not connected to the net) to make the installation possible.

WinB
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

re greyed out plugins

Post by WinB »

Thanks Harald, I'll be seeing them tomorrow at class, will pass on your reply...
The one with Vista had her daughter come and remove the filter from the plugin folder, and says everything is OK again, but I don't know whether she tried a different filter on the same image... I'll ask her when I see her.
Haven't heard anything back from the one with XP...
Cheers
Win