plugin to correct a "moved" photo?

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
Borgtex

plugin to correct a "moved" photo?

Post by Borgtex »

Is there any plugin to attenuate movement blur of the entire image? (when the camera moves while shooting, not the object)

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I have mentioned an application called Image Analyzer (http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/Analyzer/) in the latest issue of the Plugin Newsletter. This application has a deconvolution command for removing motion blur. However, according to the tests I made it isn't very effective. You have to expriment a lot and the rendering is quite slow.

There is also a plugin called Focus Magic at http://www.focusmagic.com/. Didn't found it that effective, too.

All in all, if the motion blur is quite strong, you better delete the photo. If it is only subtle you might be able to improve it a bit with the mentioned tools or with some other sharpening tool.

Borgtex

Post by Borgtex »

Thanks for your help, Harald. I tried both and you are right: they don't help very much; I can have similar results with Photoshop.

I suppose that what can't be done can't be done. Ah! Image correction is so easy in hollywood movies... :wink:

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Yes, totally removing blurs from images is as good as impossible. In some light cases you might be able to achieve some improvements.

Deblurring is regularily used in fields like astronomy or microscopy, where people only want to gain more information from images and not regain the original unlurred image.

Of course I don't exclude that it is possible to regain a very close approximation of the original image from a blurred version, but that would need a quite complex algorithm and a user that rates the results of the algorithm. A very fast computer would probably need a long time to perform such a task.