Paint Shop Pro 9 suddenly not working in Windows 10

Comments and discussions about Paint Shop Pro from Corel and formerly JASC
leilaure
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Paint Shop Pro 9 suddenly not working in Windows 10

Postby leilaure » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I am going crazy with this. Suddenly Jasc PSP 9 is not launching anymore in Windows 10. Originally I restored the system and it worked again, but there is no way to stop Windows 10 from downloading updates, and I can't pinpoint which update is creating the problem, let alone uninstall it (Windows 10 only lets you uninstall a limited portion of the updates they download). I cannot uninstall the program (it gets stuck), cannot reinstall it (gets stuck at "registering modules"), and when I try to run it it shows up in the task manager but doesn't actually open. I've read thread talking about the graphics card/drivers creating the issue, but cannot find any tutorial for fixing this in Windows 10 (I'm not super familiar with navigating that version of the program).

PSP is my go to graphic software and I really don't want to switch to Corel as their versions are crap. Anyone coming up with an answer would have my never ending gratitude :) Also, anyone else having this issue?

donnajj
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Re: Paint Shop Pro 9 suddenly not working in Windows 10

Postby donnajj » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:07 pm

i am suffering and i am facing exactly the same problem as described by leilaure. Please anyone can provide us a solution?

Matara
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Matara » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:11 am

I am having the exact same issue with my PSP Pro 9. Mine is on a DVD and goes to the point of install until it reaches "Registering Modules" then it hangs. I sure hope someone will come up with a solution cause I don't care for the new Corel paint either. I did a compatibility through the PSP and it is showing its not no longer compatible. So it definitely was caused by a windows 10 update. :(

Matara
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Matara » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:53 pm

I got a response from Corel on the PSP Pro 9 just going to share what I was emailed by Corel. I am lucky cause the PSP Pro 9 still works on my desktop so will use that when I need cause I am not over interested in purchasing a new paint program.

From Corel representative; Thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support.

Unfortunately your product version is no longer supported. Because the computing environment changes so quickly, it’s very difficult for us to maintain older versions of software as they do occasionally run into some issues when installed on new operating systems.

That being said, I would like to offer you a suggestion to the issue presented.

Please be advised that PaintShop Pro 9 is not compatible with your Windows 10 operating system.

You may want to install the program to the appropriate operating system.

- 300 MHz processor or faster
- Microsoft Windows 98SE, 2000 (SP4), ME, XP
- 256 MB of RAM
- 500 MB of free hard drive space
- 16-bit color display adapter at 800x600 resolution
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
RECOMMENDED SYSTEM CONFIGURATION
- 1.0 GHz processor or faster
- Microsoft Windows XP
- 512 MB of RAM
- 500 MB of free hard drive space
- 32-bit color display adapter at 1024x768 resolution
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later

Matara
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Matara » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:55 pm

If you are interested I found a free software that is almost identical to paint shop pro. Just fire me an email and I will give you the link and info. Cheers :D

limetart
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby limetart » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:07 am

You possibly need the right dll files and version of Direct x. Windows updates seem to keep removing these. It is fairly easy to remedy. You need to download the Directx End-User runtime web installer from Microsoft. It is called dxwebsetup - You can find it here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... 35&nowin10 Hope this helps - it works for older casual games and Direct x is used in PSP 9 apparently.

Storme
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby Storme » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:02 am

Matara wrote:If you are interested I found a free software that is almost identical to paint shop pro. Just fire me an email and I will give you the link and info. Cheers :D

Hi,
Sorry, don''t know how to email you. When I click your name no email shows.

There is another program I know that has been getting very good ratings and in its 4th edition I think. I could not find its website, only downloads on other sites. Do you know if it suppports these plug ins etc.? Thank you

HannaK
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Postby HannaK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:18 pm

I had the same problem! Did not work at all after I changed all files I could I decided to make a final effort and removed my ANTIVIRUS program and voila! It works excellent!
Good luck
HannaK

Matara
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Matara » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Thanks Limetart will try the DirectX and Storme the software is called Gimp2. Its interface is not so hot but it seems to have all the bells and whistles PSP Pro 9 has. Just goggle Gimp 2 and I am sure you will find it if not message me and I will see if I can find and share the link.

Pamela
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby Pamela » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:31 am

Matara I can not figure out how to email you but am interested in the free program you mentioned....Thanks in advance....

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Postby HaraldHeim » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:52 pm

I never was a fan of GIMP. I never liked its UI, felt it was too unstable and disliked its limited support for Photoshop plugins.

If you would ask me for a free replacement for PSP I would recommend Paint.net at http://www.getpaint.net/. To use Photoshop plugins with it you have to download and install this plugin: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/t ... 016-10-05/

Matara
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Matara » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Pamela wrote:Matara I can not figure out how to email you but am interested in the free program you mentioned....Thanks in advance....

Here you go a couple of links so you can decide for yourself. :D

http://alternativeto.net/software/paint-shop-pro/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/19/25-alternatives-to-photoshop-image-editing

Matara
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Matara » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:42 pm

HaraldHeim wrote:I never was a fan of GIMP. I never liked its UI, felt it was too unstable and disliked its limited support for Photoshop plugins.

If you would ask me for a free replacement for PSP I would recommend Paint.net at http://www.getpaint.net/. To use Photoshop plugins with it you have to download and install this plugin: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/t ... 016-10-05/

I have to agree about GIMP wish they would make it better. I have paint.net and will look into the plugins. Thanks a bunch and it the mean time if someone has an answer on how to get PSP Pro 9 to work on the the updated windows 10 that would be great. :D

greylin
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby greylin » Fri May 19, 2017 11:29 am

I tried all the suggestions so far provided but having invested so much learning into PSP9 I didn't want to switch to a new program. Instead, my son has installed VirtualBox (open source software) for me, within which he has installed Windows 7 using my old product key. He has set things up so that when I click on the PSP9 shortcut in Windows 10, Virtual Box opens Windows 7 and PSP opens automatically. The clipboard can be shared between the two versions of Windows and it's working brilliantly - it just takes a couple of seconds longer to open than it used to.

HannaK
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Postby HannaK » Tue May 30, 2017 6:35 pm

I have had same troubles! Installed about 3 times again then suddenly it worked!
Even the PSP thumbs show up!
(till the next time)
Don't give up!
HannaK

fennec
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby fennec » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:37 am

I had psp9 stop working on the creative update as well. You start it and it never comes up. I have found that I now have the right click option on the icon that gives me the option to "Run with graphics proccessor" When I click on my nvidia one the program launches with no issues. I never could get the installer to work right when I was trying to do a repair but this seems to work for now. Hope this helps anyone who loves psp9
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (69.82 KiB) Viewed 8308 times

patara
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Postby patara » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:52 am

I've helped a few people recently with the issue of PSP9 and PSPX either not installing or not working. I suggested they roll back their graphics driver to an older version as Intel had updated their driver earlier in the year. This worked for them, and they were able to get the programs installed and working.
It was mentioned in an old Knowledge Base article on Corel, that if 9 or X installation stops or hangs on 'Registering Modules' or hangs when trying to start it is usually caused by the graphics driver.

HannaK
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Postby HannaK » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:47 pm

Another "miracle" of Windows10 updates.
Paint Shop Pro 9.01 would not open again. Still doesn't but I've discovered that I click on a picture of .psp (psp.extension) then it opens the program and works fine!

KarlWagner
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby KarlWagner » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:53 am

Definitely the graphics driver!
I also could not get PSP9 to run after the Windows 10 Creators Update. I read that the graphics driver may be the problem.
To test this, I first simply deactivated the Intel graphics driver via the Device Manager. PSP9 ran as it should!
Of course, after a reboot Win10 reinstalled the new driver.
I then went to my PC manufacturers website and downloaded the original graphics driver (i.e. the factory supplied one).
After install, I rebooted the PC, and yes, PSP9 ran as expected.
So far, the graphics driver stuck after reboot.
Hope this helps!

bblake
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby bblake » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:48 pm

What a useful thread! Finally I have Paint Shop Pro XI working again. I tried reverting to Paint Shop Pro 9 but had the same problem. It just hung when trying to start / when I tried to reinstall it hangs when "registering modules".

This problem may well only affect specific types of Intel integrated graphics. I am using Intel Integrated graphics HD530 on a i3-6100. I have reverted to Intel driver Version 20.19.15.4377 (Dated, on the Intel site 2016/03/08, but in device manager the date is reported as 25/01/2016). I had to work backward through several drivers before I found one old enough to work.

As above, only a limited range of Intel graphics appears to have the problem. I am running the Windows 10 Insider Preview on an older machine which uses HD2500 graphics on a Intel Core i3-3220. There are no problems (although the graphics driver Windows 10 decided to install is dated December 2015). I also have a laptop with an AMD processor - no problems. :)

Return to “Paint Shop Pro”