Advice? Shopping for RAM, how much do I need for Photoshop 7

Comments and discussions about other graphics tools
Skybird
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Advice? Shopping for RAM, how much do I need for Photoshop 7

Post by Skybird »

How much RAM should I buy for graphics. If Photoshop were my only program on my PC, how much RAM would be: Enough/Plenty/Too Much? I have Windows XP home. 5.1MP Sony camera.

I often interpolate my pics up to 50-70 Mb during the enhancing proccess. But I usually downsize them before archiving in TIFF to 15 to 20mb. Does this sound excessive? It's the only way that I know to get the maximum resolution. Since I have a large format printer, I like to be prepared to print a 13x19" print.

Surprizingly, I only have 256mb memory card now, and I'm getting by. I had been using 512mb and had trouble running out of memory once in a while.

Skybird

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If you use Photoshop without any plugins, I guess 256 MB RAM would be fine for 50-70 MB images if you have a fast hard drive that Photoshop can use as a scratch disc.

But I would recommend to upgrade to 512 MB RAM. That should make Photoshop work faster, especially if you set a higher Memory Usage (e.g. 75%) in Photoshop's Preferences.

latinsnake
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

I agree with HaraldHeim

Post by latinsnake »

I agree with HaraldHeim.
I am using xp home.
xp home should be running on no less than 256
If you need any other help please ask.
I bought some ram real cheap on line and the site scanned my pc and told me exactly what to buy so I did not have really do nothing more than install when I recieved it.
Holla if you need help.

Hi Admin HaraldHeim. I am new and just reading around.
Nice board.