Hep! Problems with some of Kangs filters

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
jones
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Hep! Problems with some of Kangs filters

Post by jones »

I've installed all 4 volumes of Kang's filters in Photoshop 7, but cannot use some of the filters. I usually get could not complete the ----------- command because of a program error, and occasionally the program crashes with an illegal action error.

Has anyone had this happen, or is it just me? Is there a fix?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Kang's Filters were done with FilterFactory. The convolution operation of FilterFactory has a bug which can cause such a crash. So if one of Kang's Filters uses that feature it can crash your image application. From what I have heard a crash is more likely to occure in Paint Shop Pro than in Photoshop.

You could ask Kang to recompile his filters with FilterMeister, which doesn't have this bug. Or you can download FilterMeister (http://www.filtermeister.com)yourself and open and apply Kang's Filters in FilterMeister. If you register FilterMeister, you can even produce fixed versions of Kang's Filters for yourself. With the free FilterMeister version, you have to open the filter before you can apply it, which is less conveniant if you use these Kang's Filters often.

When you open one of Kang's filters in FilterMeister, you can search for the cnv(...) command. If a filter doesn't contain that function, it won't produce a crash in the original FilterFactory version.

Post by Guest »

I got the Kangs filters in question to work in IrfanView by moving them into the FilterFactory folder. So, I did that in Photoshop as well. It worked on the Win 98 machine, but not the XP one. But then, after a few tries, it quit on the 98 computer (a memory problem, maybe?)

Itfanview is OK for this, but I'd really like the control of Photoshop.

Thanks for the FilterMeister suggestion, I'll give that a try, too.

jones
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by jones »

Anonymous wrote:I got the Kangs filters in question to work in IrfanView by moving them into the FilterFactory folder. So, I did that in Photoshop as well. It worked on the Win 98 machine, but not the XP one. But then, after a few tries, it quit on the 98 computer (a memory problem, maybe?)

Itfanview is OK for this, but I'd really like the control of Photoshop.

Thanks for the FilterMeister suggestion, I'll give that a try, too.
Ooops. I forgot to login, the above post was mine.

Update: I've downloaded and installed FilterMeister on the 98 machine. Looks like some fun, and I'll get to really exploring when I have more time. In the meantime, the Kang's filters in question did work through this program. Thanks much. :D