plug-in-commander

Comments and discussions about Plugin Commander
fun2golf@pacbell.net

plug-in-commander

Post by fun2golf@pacbell.net »

I am thinking of trying the plug-in-commander. I have quite a few plug-ins, and this sounds like a program that would keep them in order , so that I can have easier access to them. Is this program difficult to work with. I am not the worlds best at understanding alot of the terms. I did look at the tutorial they had, but it went a little fast for me to follow.
Please, any suggestions on this would be appreciated.
Beverly

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Plugin Commander is surely no the easiest tool to use, but certainly has a lot of useful features.

However, we plan to make it much more easy to use in the future Version 2.0. Until then I recommend that you try the Light Verison and read through the manual as well as the tutorials. If you have some specific questions, please post them on the Plugin Commander forum (and not the Other Plugin forum).

Liz

PiCoLight

Post by Liz »

I've been using PiCoLight for some time now but I had wiped hard drive and had to reinstall everything. I reinstalled PiCo and can open it, however, when I rt.click and 8bf file I get 2 error messages: 1. PiCo error 68 - device unavailable. 2. PiCo error 76 - path not found. I set 8bf in folder options to open with PiCo by pointing to it in the browse window. What else do I need to do?
Liz

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The error messages sounds as if PluginCommander tries to access a drive and path that doesn't exist anymore.

Please try deleting the following registry key (Start > Run > Enter "regedit" > OK):
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\PiCo10

liz

PiCoLight

Post by liz »

I did all that you suggested. However PiCo did not function correctly. I then removed the program and deleted the file and resinstalled a new download from site. PiCo does work. However, it works strange - When I click to open, the screen goes black, then PiCo opens up HUGH. On exit, the window goes black again. It never did this before. I would like to fix this last pesky little bug.
Liz

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I'm not sure what you mean with "goes black". Does the Plugin Commander window turn into a uniform black area? I can't imagine how that might happen. Does the window appear maximized to the whole screen?

liz

PiCo

Post by liz »

My PC screen goes black, then PiCo opens HUGH, like I suddenly had a big magnifying glass in front of me. Then when I exit PiCo, the PC screen goes black again. PiCo is not opening normally, at least not the way it used to.
Liz

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sounds like your screen switches to a lower resolution when PiCo is started. I didn't add any code in PiCo that would do that, so I think you click on a icon on your desktop that starts PiCo. Maybe this icon uses some setting that treats PiCo like a DOS program and causes the problem. Please right click on that icon and choose Properties. Pleae check if there are any unusual settings.

If that doesn't help, please double click PiCo15Light.exe in the Plugin Commander folder directly. Does the problem occur now? If not, right click the file and choose "Create Shortcut". Now drag the new shortcut to you desktop and use it for running PiCo.

Liz

PiCo

Post by Liz »

Did not have a shortcut icon on desktop for PiCo. I open it either by rt clicking an 8bf then open with or by double clicking the PiCo exe. Both methods give the same results. Did not have this problem before but it is very disconcerting. I have no other program that does this. I sincerely hope you can think of a way to fix this for me. Thanks for your time. If I have not mentioned it yet, hard drive was wiped clean and windows and everything was a fresh install. Switched to cable ISP and added a firewall.
Liz

Liz

PiCo post script

Post by Liz »

Just wanted to add that I tried putting a shortcut icon on desktop and when I clicked it my PC shut down completely. Hope to hear from you.
Liz

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sounds like your system causes quite some trouble, although it is a fresh install. Maybe the Microsoft DLLs that Plugin Commander is using cause this trouble, I don't know. Sorry.

You should at least try installing Plugin Commander again. What Windows version are you using? 98? XP?

Liz

PiCo

Post by Liz »

I'm using Windows XP Home.
Liz

Liz

PiCo problems

Post by Liz »

Harold - I have uninstalled and reinstalled PiCo 3 times now. Each time I got a fresh download from the plugin site and deleted the PiCo files in my registry. I still get the big change in resolution. My screen resolution is set at 1024 X 768, DPI setting 96 and screen refresh rate at 75. Could any of these settings be causing a problem.. PiCo ran fine before! Please advise.
Liz

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Honestly, I don't know what is causing this. Noone ever reported such a problem and I never experienced it myself. It must be something that is caused by the runtime libraries of Plugin Commander and these were developed by Microsoft.

When installing Plugin Commander did you let the setup overwrite the newer system files with the older ones? That may be a source of problems, although I can't imagine that it would cause a resolution change.

I tried various internet searches to see if such a problem is known, but I didn't find anything. Maybe the problem can be fixed by installing the latest Windows XP patches or Service Pack. Did you have anything of that installed with your previous XP installtion?

Liz

PiCo problem

Post by Liz »

I did get 2 message windows about overwriting newer dll with older. Checked yes on 2 of the installations and no on another time. Also, we installed all the latest XP patches that might not have been in the previously XP installation. Added a firewall also. Could that cause a problem?
Liz

Liz

PiCo

Post by Liz »

Harald - Under properties - Should "run program in compatable mode for:" be checked or unchecked? Windows XP is not listed. I think it was set for Windows 2000. Under display setting I unchecked 640X480. I now do not get the magnified window but it still turns PC screen black when both opening and closing. Do you think if I uninstalled PiCo one more time, removed the PiCo reg.files, and also remove those 2 dlls that I overwrote in System32 (oleut32.dll & asycfilt.dll) and did another install, would it fix the remaining problem? And are there any particular settings I should change in Properties.?
Liz

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Liz, please uncheck the compatible mode option, then it should work. Do you have an idea how this compatibility stuff was activated? Did you do it yourself unintentionally?

Liz

PiCo

Post by Liz »

NOo - I didn't check any of the compatability options myself. There were just checked already when I opened "properties". What about my question regarding another reinstall.
Liz

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I don't think that a reinstall will change anything, but you can try it.

Liz

PiCo

Post by Liz »

Harold - Thought it might be helpful to you to let you know that I solved the problem I was having with PiCo. It had to do with settings in the properties box. I just checked "run this program compatible with windows 2000" Since I have Windows XP, I hadn't checked that before. Now it opens and closed like it always did.
Liz