How do I apply antialias to a picture? This is my first post

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

What exactly do you want to achieve? Antialias is a form of blur effect, but is usually only used for rendering vector graphics.

Post by Guest »

I want to get rid of jagged lines

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Then you should avoid producing jagged lines in the first place. You can remove them with a blur, but that only decreases the image quality.

If you explain exactly what you were trying to do, I should be able to advice you how to avoid them.

Roo
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Roo »

For text:
You'll see a dropdown menu up on your toolbar, it says something like crisp, sharp, smooth etc. choose 'smooth'. this turns antialiasing on for text.

For shapes/lines:
Fisrt of all hold down the shift key while drawing shapes and lines, this will keep things straight and in proportioin.

Secondly, if you apply any transformations such as perspective, skew etc. etc. *do not rasterize the shape/line first*, draw your shape or line, do your transform, and then rasterize it.

mehdi

Post by mehdi »

when you use plugins made with filter factory you get usually highly aliased effects. There's an easy solution to that problem: super- sampling.

just start with a very big image ( at least twice bigger in height and in width than the final image)

apply the effect

then just reduce the image size using the bicubic interpolation. ( at least half of it size)

aliasing is more or less removed ( the more you reduce the image size and the more it is efficient , but you have in this case to start from a very big image)

oh i forget ! if you want your filter factory plug to work with a very big image you'll have to use a tool like plugin commander ... you can also decompile and launch it with filter meister ....

hope this help 8)

TARL_FURY
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by TARL_FURY »

There -is- an anti-alias graphics app, called biTmiX Aa 1.01 ...
a tool designed for anti-aliasing vector-drawn images. Now you can draw your images in MS Word, for example, with no fear for earning dismissive jeers and comments of 'ghastly graphics' type.
http://www.bitmix.cz/download/en/aa.exe
repeat after me : "I will not hype craptacular software."

Lightkeeper
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

Post by Lightkeeper »

Harald is right about not producing them in the first place. It sounds like this is coming from your camera this way. Check your instruction manual to see if you have variable sharpness settings, and if you do turn that down a notch at a time, until you get acceptable results. Some cameras oversharpen the image resulting in aliasing.

If you have a small area in an existing photo, you can smooth the edge with a small brush on low pressure, a little at a time. This would take forever if you have a very large area to repair.

Also, if this is the result of using a low megapixel setting in the first place, or excessive cropping, try resampling the image with bicubic resampling, and you may see some improvement. This will not always help in the case of excessive sharpening, however.

mehdi
Plugin Expert
Plugin Expert

Post by mehdi »

well, i've been waiting a long time and curiously no one talked about that plugin:
Power Retouch Anti Aliasing Filter

What do other people think of it ?
i was unable to use it effectively.