Resize photo before using FocalBlade?

FocalBlade specific discussions
Stephen_Brown
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Resize photo before using FocalBlade?

Post by Stephen_Brown »

The FocalBlade manual tells us to "resize the image to its final size before using FocalBlade". As a new FocalBlade user, I want to check that I properly understand this instruction.

I think the term "resizing" is ambiguous. It can mean one or other of the following two actions:

1. Resampling the image to reduce or increase the number of pixels, thereby increasing or reducing the file size.

2. Changing the value for pixels per inch (ppi) but keeping the number of pixels the same - the file size stays the same in this case.

If I want to resample the image to change the number of pixels (resize type 1.) then, as stated in the manual, this must be done before using FocalBlade.

However, if I only want to change the value for ppi (resize type 2.), does it make any difference whether I do this before or after running FocalBlade? In other words, does FocalBlade use the value for ppi in working out its sharpening parameters?

Please help me sharpen up my thinking on this subject.

Thanks,
Stephen Brown

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

It doesn't make any difference in case 2 at the moment. But that may change in a future version if you use the Auto features of FocalBlade.

In cases where you need to enlarge the image size by 400% or more, it makes sense to apply FocalBlade before enlarging and after enlarging for a better result. The first sharpening can reduce the smoothing of the enlarging. Anyway, in such a case you should use a smaller radius for the first sharpening and a larger radius for the second sharpening.

Stephen_Brown
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Stephen_Brown »

Harald,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Thank you also for your hint regarding large enlargements. I have stored that idea into my memory banks.

Stephen Brown