sharp focusing 3.5x5 to 13x19 w/ Focal Blade possible?

FocalBlade specific discussions
Alkaline Al
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

sharp focusing 3.5x5 to 13x19 w/ Focal Blade possible?

Post by Alkaline Al »

Hello,

I am planning on purchasing the Daylab Copy System in order to make Polaroid transfers from digital files. The thing is though, with this system, it is only possible to make 3.5x5 images from the small Polaroid film sheets. My plan is to do that, then scan and enlarge the transfers up to 13x19 inches, and then sharpen them using Focal Blade. I haven't purchased Focal Blade yet but have read good things about it. Things like it being a better value (and performance) than Genuine Fractals or that Entensis program. Has anyone had any luck using Focal Blade for sharpening enlargements this size?

I use PhotoImpact 8 with Windows XP. I shoot with a Canon Powershot G2 (4 mega-pixel)

Thanks for any advice.

--Al

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I don't know why you want to print the files and scan them. Why not use the files directly?

FocalBlade is a sharpening tool and not one for image enlargements. Of course, you can use it before (with a small Radius) and after the enlargement (with a larger Radius value) to get a better result.

For enlargements I recommend Genuine Fractals or PhotoZoom, but in several cases the Bicubic option of PhotoImpact works almost as good.

Alkaline Al
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Alkaline Al »

Hi Harald,

Thanks for the (quick!) reply. The idea is that one prints a digital file at 4x6 (not neccessarily 3.5x5 as I said before but 4x6 is the limit) and then feeds it into the Daylab Copy System which copies this digital image onto 4x6 Polaroid film. One then peels apart the film and presses the emulsion onto paper, creating a Polaroid image transfer. The resulting artwork is a 4x6 "hard-copy" image. My idea is to take this image and scan it at a high-resolution so that I can then print it out at a more dynamic size, up to 13x19 inches.

I was trying not to go the Genuine Fractals route as it is expensive and as I only need up to 13x19, I am hoping I can find something cheaper. I am skeptical in using PhotoImpact 8's resizing as it is somewhat deficient. (like you said, "almost as good"!) I'd rather use a program specifically designed for sharp enlargements. So...I'll check out PhotoZoom and see how that looks. Thanks for the info and reply back if you have more input. Thanks!

--Alkaline Al

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I still not get the idea with the printing and scaning. Does the polaroid have a special look or effect on the photo that you want to achieve?

With Genuine Fractals you really get the sharpest enlargements. Additionally you can sharpen the result with an small radius which makes it even sharper. That isn't possible with PhotoZoom at a 1000% enlargement as you plan to do. I found the Bicubic option of PhotoImpact just as good as the one from Photoshop.

Just do your tests and see what works best.

Alkaline Al
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Alkaline Al »

Hi Harald,

Yes, what you do to the Polaroid is pull it apart, in half. Then, you press the "ink" onto a piece of paper, let it sit some hours, and then carefully pull away the Polaroid. You are left with a dreamy, soft focussed, all-original, somewhat radnom, cool piece of artwork. I've never done it, so I cannot post an image...you can find images easily online though...just type "Polaroid transfer" into any search engine. Anyhow, the resulting image is cool, but alas, one small fixed size. That's why I want to scan these tansfered images and enlarge them for printing.

I think I've settled on Extensis SmartScale for my software. Just gotta save up the cash now. :-)

Thanks,
--Alkaline Al

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

SmartScale produces an almost waterpaint-like effect when enlarging photos, so it may be the right choice for your purpose.

Alkaline Al
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Alkaline Al »

Thank - you.

--Al