KPT v2 - cannot use in PSP

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
purrrsistent
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Postby purrrsistent » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:11 pm

Hi all
I'm trying to get an old version of Kai's Power Tools (v2.0) filters to work with PSP7... from 1994, so they're on floppies, with instructions for Win 3.1 (I'm running Win98SE), but have installed them OK and pointed PSP to the folder where they are stored. The 22 filters are in .8bf format, but the collection doesn't show up as an item at all in the PSP Effects/Plugin Filters list. Any ideas about how can I get them to work, please?
Many thanks, AJ

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Postby HaraldHeim » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:53 am

KPT2 is a 16bit plugin which will probably only run in Photoshop if at all. You should use Photoshop 2.5 or 3 to run them. I don't know if newer Photoshop versions support them.

purrrsistent
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Postby purrrsistent » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:37 pm

Many thanks.
Is there any way of upgrading or converting 16-bit plugins?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Postby HaraldHeim » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:53 pm

As far as I know KPT2 wasn't upgraded to 32bit. What kind of effects does it have? Maybe they used some of them in later KPT products again.

Jeff Mead

KPT

Postby Jeff Mead » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:34 pm

parts of KPT2 work with PSP5 (on Win95 anyway), in fact its the only version that will. PSP6 & up were able to use KPT3 (5,6, collections etc). KPT3 has all of the effects of 2, with a prettyer interface :wink:
=========
adder

KaiFan
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

hopefully revisiting

Postby KaiFan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:50 am

in six short years..

Is there some kind of spiffy wrapper that will allow one to use KPT2 in Photoshop CS4 or Photoshop CS5?

Or even in GIMP (or GIMPphoto)?

:D

especially since KPT2 is borderline abandonware. I am not sure if new users can purchase it any more :(

there are some fantastic blend modes in KPT2 that are sadly not available in photoshop of any version

There are even more blend modes in G'MIC for GIMP that KPT2 and Photoshop combined

Aside: What can one not create their own layer blend mode in photoshop?!?
purity does matter : pure love club

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Postby HaraldHeim » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:36 pm

As far as I remember KPT2 is a 16-bit plugin. So you can only use it under Windows XP (not Vista and 7) and you need Photoshop 2.5 or 3 (non-CS).

Years ago I suggested to Adobe to add support for blend mode plugins. Their reply was that there is no general interest in them.

realkuhl
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Corel Have them

Postby realkuhl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 pm

FYI - Corel now sells all the Kai's Power Tools in a single package for 99.00..

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/ ... bview=tab0

After looking at the list of included effects, these are only the newer effects found in KPT5,6 and 7. The page is kind of misleading because it shows a picture for the UI of Gradient Designer 2 but when you look at the list of effects, it's not included.....

Greetings.

John Lehmkuhl
www.pluginguru.com

Return to “Photoshop-compatible Plugins”