resolution question

General Remaks about our web site or other things that don't fit in any other forum
bwallx
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

resolution question

Post by bwallx »

No, not a New Year's resolution, but a simple question about my digital camera.

It is a Konica Minolta A2 and is excellent. I've set it to produce extrafine jpeg files at the max dimensions but notice that they are at 72dpi resolution when seen in Photoshop. The file sizes are in the 5Mb region.

I was expecting a resolution of 300dpi but can't see an option on the camera to fix this. It doesn't seem to make any difference as the images print to A3 fine (after processing with Photowiz products!).

Just wondered if this made sense to anyone?

Photofix
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Photofix »

Hi,
UI believe that when you open a pic in PS that its default is 72PPI. Easy to change that though.
Just go to Image/Image size/and in the box type in 300PPI and click OK.
PS will change your photo to 300 PPI. Must warn you though, you will need lots of Ram to run these at this size.
Hope this helps
Photofix

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You can also change the DPI value without actually chaning the image information. That is more preferable than upsizing the image by 400% from 72 to 300 dpi.

Post by Guest »

Well as I say, the actual results are fine so was only curious. Not sure how to change the dpi without also affecting the file size though?

Harald, I've just downloaded your Lightmachine and am looking forward to playing with it later. Since using a digital camera, I find I need to expand the subjective dynamic range using Photoshop's Highlight&Shadow filter a lot. But Lightmachine looks to be far more flexible!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If you deactivate the Resample Image check box in the Image Size dialog, you change the dpi value without affecting the pixels.

For digital photos it doesn't matter what dpi value Photoshop displays, because Photoshop only works on the pixels. It only matters when you output the image to a printer, but then the dpi value of the printer it is more important. That value determines how large the image can be printed while still prodcuing a good print.

If you start with a new image, e.g. if you want to design a poster, it is good to know your final output size and the resolution of the output device in dpi. Then you can enter these values in order to have enough pixels for the desired output size and resolution.