KPT v2 - cannot use in PSP

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
purrrsistent
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by purrrsistent »

Hi all
I'm trying to get an old version of Kai's Power Tools (v2.0) filters to work with PSP7... from 1994, so they're on floppies, with instructions for Win 3.1 (I'm running Win98SE), but have installed them OK and pointed PSP to the folder where they are stored. The 22 filters are in .8bf format, but the collection doesn't show up as an item at all in the PSP Effects/Plugin Filters list. Any ideas about how can I get them to work, please?
Many thanks, AJ

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

KPT2 is a 16bit plugin which will probably only run in Photoshop if at all. You should use Photoshop 2.5 or 3 to run them. I don't know if newer Photoshop versions support them.

purrrsistent
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by purrrsistent »

Many thanks.
Is there any way of upgrading or converting 16-bit plugins?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

As far as I know KPT2 wasn't upgraded to 32bit. What kind of effects does it have? Maybe they used some of them in later KPT products again.

Jeff Mead

KPT

Post by Jeff Mead »

parts of KPT2 work with PSP5 (on Win95 anyway), in fact its the only version that will. PSP6 & up were able to use KPT3 (5,6, collections etc). KPT3 has all of the effects of 2, with a prettyer interface :wink:
=========
adder

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

As far as I remember KPT2 is a 16-bit plugin. So you can only use it under Windows XP (not Vista and 7) and you need Photoshop 2.5 or 3 (non-CS).

Years ago I suggested to Adobe to add support for blend mode plugins. Their reply was that there is no general interest in them.