how to tile images VERTICALLY in Photoshop

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
Jean
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

how to tile images VERTICALLY in Photoshop

Post by Jean »

Sorry for these probably very basic questions, but I was not able to find in PS CS :

1) how to tile *vertically* two or more images. This is a menu item in Elements, but not in PS CS !

2) how to change workspace background color

Thanks in advance for any help

Jean (John)

Roo
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Roo »

1. Do you mean like a seamless tile for use as a background?

2. Nope. You can't change the workspace color.

Jean
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

tile vertically

Post by Jean »

Thanks for your help.

I just meant : instead of tiling images horizontally, one above the other(s), tiling them vertically, one aside the other(s). This vertical setup is generally much more convenient to compare images than displaying them horizontally. This command exists as a menu item in Elements, but not in CS, where you just have Window ->arrange > tile which is a horizontal tile.

Thanks in advance if you have any hint,

Jean (John)

Photofix
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Photofix »

Hi,
There IS a way to change the background color, I just can't remember it at the moment. When I do(probably at 2:15 tomorrow morning), I will post it here. But, in the mean time, here's what you might try.
Go to file/ new, pick a image size larger that what you will be working on and click OK. Then go to edit/ fill, and select a color you want from the color picker and then fill. Open the pic you want to work on and drag it onto your new, larger size. Click on the maximum button on your window, to fill your screen with your pic. Select what ever tool you will be using, press the tab button on your keyboard(this will hide all your tools and other pallets), then get to work!
Gotta tell ya though, have tried many colors for a workspace...the native PS is the best!
Good luck though
Photofix

Photofix
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Photofix »

Well, I didn't think of it yet but heres another way to sneak around it.
Open your image, then click the middle button on the upper right. This will leave your image in the middle with grey all around it. Pick a color with your color picker then click on the paint bucket tool. Hold down the shift key and click outside of your image anywhere in the grey area.
There ya go!!
Photofix :lol:

thanks

Post by Guest »

Thanks a lot for the background color; any idea concerning tiling images verticallly ?

Roo
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Roo »

Oh.....you're talking about the windows!!

I really don't know if this would help or not, but maybe try arranging some open images the way you want and saving the workspace?

Window>>Workspace>>Save Workspace.

I honestly don't know if this will work or not, since it's used for saving color profiles, pallette locations and whatnot. Heck it's work a try...the worst that can happen is that it won't work.

Re: how to tile images VERTICALLY in Photoshop

Post by Guest »

Jean wrote:Sorry for these probably very basic questions, but I was not able to find in PS CS :

1) how to tile *vertically* two or more images. This is a menu item in Elements, but not in PS CS !
Jean, in PS CS if you go to File and Automate, there are several ways to place your pictures in a vertical format Contact Sheet, you can choose the vertical presentation. Also in Picture Package and Photomerge you can put photos underneath each other. Have a play around, and you will come up with a solution to suit you.

Jean
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Jean »

Thanks for your answer, but your suggestion asks for a better description of my problem :

Suppose you have opened two images, and you want to compare them on your screen. If you ask PS for tiling them, the two images are one above each other : its not very convenient for comparing them. I would just like to have them one aside each other, one on the left, one on the right of my screen, not one on the top and one on the bottom... Again, this command is directly available as a menu item in PS Elements but apparently not in its big brother CS !

Thanks in advance...