blur with a over expose

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
byrt_001

blur with a over expose

Post by byrt_001 »

Hi everyone

Im a photographer and I have seen some b/w photographs that the edge of the phot have been blur and overexposed. been try to do that and just can not figure it out. uuhmmm can anyone help?

Regards

Christian

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Can you provide an URL where such photos can be seen?

byrt_001

Post by byrt_001 »

it is something very similar to this

http://www.pixiport.com/Cgi-Bin/PixiDet ... 5.htm&CAP=

thi is it

Post by Guest »

hi everyone

this is actually what Im looking for

http://www.pixiport.com/Cgi-Bin/PixiDet ... 5.htm&CAP=

regards

Christian

Roo
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Roo »

That's pretty much a drop shadow done with Gaussian Blur.

Select the figure or whatever in the image. With a solid background this can be done with the magic wand tool, but with a complex background you'll need to use the pen tool and manually draw around the image to make the selection.

Once you have your selection contact it by maybe 2 pixles. Then feather by around 2 pixels. (Do this from the selcect menu...Select>>Modify>>...)

Inverse the selection

Apply Gaussian Blur. Play with the slider control until you get the effect you want. Filter>>Blur>>Gaussian Blur>>

byrt_001

thanks

Post by byrt_001 »

Hi

Thanks roo, will try and play a bit. will see what i can out with.

this is where you can see some of my work.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10108

regards

Christian

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I don't think you are looking for a drop shadow effect. A drop shadow effect only affects the small area that surround an object and keeps the object itself and the background untouched.

The image examples you mentioned have a soft focus effect applied to them. It is achieved by duplicating the layer, applying a Gaussian Blur and reducing the layer opacity.

Photofix
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Photofix »

I tried to do this effect myself and this is what I came up with..
I took the main image and duplicated it(ctrl+j), Then I took that layer and selected the man and filled him with black. I then placed that layer below the original layer and then hit (Ctrl+t) to transform the image. I enlarged it just a bit, (use what looks good to you). I then applied a Gaussian blur to that at about 14 pixels or so.
Then I went into quick mask mode and masked him completely(using the original layer) leaving just a small area around his body unmasked, (just the outside edges). Switched back to standard mode and then applied another blur to the outside edges of the original layer that were selected.
All that remained to do was to play with contrast and either levels or curves to complete this effect.
I hope this helps you.
Photofix

Post by Guest »

hi

thanks

i have been trying the diferent ways, the only problem with fotofix advice is that not sure of the filled him with black bit? but at least know what i suposed to do now.

Thanks

Christian

Photofix
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Photofix »

Hi
What I meant with the statement" fill him with black", I was meaning that after you had made the selection of the man or whatever, just fill the selected image with black. You dont need the actual image.
Photofix