FocalBlade problem - Insufficient RAM

FocalBlade specific discussions
foosp
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

FocalBlade problem - Insufficient RAM

Post by foosp »

I just got my new Nikon D2X. The RAW files open into 70MB PSD files in Photoshop CS using the Nikon NEF RAW Conveter (Camera RAW in PS does not yet support the D2X files). When I tried to use FocalBlade to sharpen the image, everything works well until I want to process the image and exit FocalBlade. The error is insufficient RAM to process. Any idea if this will be fixed in the next release?
Thanks & Regards
Suan Pin Foo

foosp
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Light Machine seems to work fine on the same file

Post by foosp »

Hi

I forgot to add that I tried LightMachine on the same file (single layer only) and encountered no problems with a quickie test of Visual Studio Pro brightenting of one area. I will try flexing LM more soon.

My machine has 2GB RAM and a huge scratch disk.

By the way, great plugins (FB and LM)... worth every cent.
Thanks & Regards
Suan Pin Foo

foosp
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Issue Resolved

Post by foosp »

Hi

Please ignore this thread. I found the reason for the problem. I had set Photoshop to use a max of 75% of the RAM. By dropping this to 60%, FocalBlade ran without error.
Thanks & Regards
Suan Pin Foo

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I would have bet that you would have more problems with LightMachine than with FocalBlade concerning RAM. FocalBalde uses very little RAM, because it processes only a small part of the image at a time whereas LightMachine still needs the whole image in memory.

I think it is good to keep the Memory Usage to the default value of 50% unless you notice any perfomance problems or slowdown.