Color profile problems

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
Slpnot

Color profile problems

Post by Slpnot »

I just recently downloaded some free plug ins listed in the latest plug-ins newsletter from a site called penta--something--anyways, after I installed some of the plug-ins, i began to get an error message when I opened photoshop saying that the monitor profile "coloreal ICM appears to be defective. please rerun monitor calibration software". I not only got this message in Photoshop, but also in elements and Illustrator.
Ok now it get even wierder: things are ok till I try to go into greyscale and then I can't get a true white. The lightest it will get is R-244, G-229 B-220 This gives me a pink/ peachy color. I realize that being in greyscale, I shouldnt get any color at all, but the whitest I can get is that pink color. as a result, anything in greyscale looks like sepia. I try going into the color picker, and it reads 255 across the board, and even lookd clean & white in the color picker, yet when I click ok, it goes right back to pink. I can resolve it by going into my Adobe gamma and re-setting my color profile, but each time I shut down, it reverts back to the pink. This is only showing up in Photoshop, in grey scale. Any other program & mode is fine. This leads me to believe its software related rather than hardware. I have completely un-installed every adobe program on my PC then re-installed them all and nothing seems to affect this delemma. has anyone else had this problem? If so, wht can I do to fix it? could it be my monitor? I also did a virus scan as well. nothing there. Whats going on here?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I don't think it has anything to do with the installation of the Penta plugins. It is probably only coincidence. The Penta collection only contains plugins and help texts and nothing else.

In Photoshop please check Edit > Color Settings and change the Gray setting(s) there.

Did you install some drivers or a profile for your monitor? If so, please reinstall that as Photoshop says that the monitor profile file is damaged.

Slpnot

Color profile problems

Post by Slpnot »

Any suggestions on how I would go about re installing my color profile? there was no "software" with my monitor. I have never heard of having software with a monitor. It is 4 years old now--and a Compaq. Would I find it on a website?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You can find your monitor profile under Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Color Management. There you can add or remove a profile.

Slpnot

Color profile problems

Post by Slpnot »

Right, and I have done all that. In fact I have gone so far as to go into the actual folder with the color profiles--via my computer---> windows--> system32-->spool-->drivers--> color then uninstaling the profile, then deleting it and emptying the recycle bin. Then when I reboot..... there it is like a bad dream. I cant seem to get rid of it. I can go in each time I start my computer and reset the color profile, but you can immagine what sort of pain that can be. Thank you for trying anyways. I think I may try another monitor to see if I might just need a new monitor. The only thing that makes me doubt that is that I don't have the problem in any other program. --only in Photoshop, and it bagan right after I installed those plugins from Penta. Again, thank you for your time and effort.

angelikness

Coloreal ICM

Post by angelikness »

I have found the same problem!! I get the same error message when I try to load up Photoshop and none of my colors are coming up correctly. Did you ever find out what was causing it? Please email me at cityofdfs@hotmail.com if you have any further information. Thank you!

Rix
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

ICM settings and adjustments.

Post by Rix »

ICM files are factory preset defaults for monitors. Adobe and Corel, plus some Norton-Symatec allow program specific alterations for some applied graphics professions (but really its a waste of time/space for 99% of users. The key is your monitor (make and model).

To correct or check conflicts, go to the Windows Control Panel. You will probably see an adobe ICM button/icon in the top two lines (usually top most to the right side). Click that button/icon and check to see the ICM profile matches your monitor, or is default or generic.

If you don't have the adobe ICM button/icon, go to your desktop, then right click in open space to bring-up properties. Select settings, then Advanced (bottom right). You should see "Colour Management" as the back left tab. Click this and see if your monitor or default/generic are listed. If something else is there (not your monitor), remove it ... then hit the "add" button.

Now you should see a list of ICM profiles that are available on your machine. There is usually an Adobe compatible ICM (you can try that if you like, but its best to stay with the ICM specific to your monitor. If you do not have a ICM listing for your monitor, and do not have the set-up CD for your monitor or graphics card, AND THERE IS NO DEFAULT or GENERIC option, select the ICM for NEC g2.2 (1st), then Diamond g2.2 (2nd).

Why? Most monitors are manufactured in Asia these days - to Japanese specifications from the 1990s. NEC is the most common/cross compatible, followed by Diamond (which is now owned by NEC).

Other ... G-Force cards can also have settings to alter change ICM's - nominally Nvida above the 400 series. You can search around inside the Nvida desktop utilities for the check/change tab ... or just use the Right click on Desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > Colour Management (detailed above). Its the fastest and easiest to find.

Cheers,

Rix.