Real Quick Question

General Remaks about our web site or other things that don't fit in any other forum
Concetta31
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Real Quick Question

Post by Concetta31 »

I know this will sound like I haven't a clue.... and I guess I don't, but I should.. I've been playin w/ paint programs for a few years now. I never really got into plugins though... I've d/l'd a few and tried em out now and then but it seems now I have a collection of them on my harddrive and I have come acrossed some free time so now I want to play with em. Anywho.....

I have psp 7 & 8... photoshop 6 & 7 and corel painter 8... mystical lighting and mystical tint tone and color ..... as well as some ulead progs..... my question is.... when I install a plugin does it automatically install in ever app that it will run in??? or do I need to figure out which programs it is compatable with and install them in each one? ~ rolling eyes ~... I have 26 zipped packages of them ... I just know this is going to be a way confusing project...... I think that's why I've let them build up so....lol

well thanks for reading!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Plugin installtion can be a difficult task, so I understand why you ask. There are basically two problems:

1. You have to install plugin in different graphics applications in different ways. Some applications offer more than one possibility. Some require that you install them in a Plugins sub folder, but others let you choose the plugin path in the Option/Preferences dialog. These are basically the two main approaches. Some applications let you decide between the two, other require one of them.

2. Different plugins use different setups. Some plugins install themselves directly into a few application's plugin folder without asking, others ask you to choose your plugin folder yourself, freeware ones often only come as a .zip file and let you do the job of installing them. Only very few let you install plugins into multiple applications without any hassle.

I suggest that you start reading my article at
http://thepluginsite.com/knowhow/tutori ... uction.htm
which contains tips and descriptions on how to install plugins into various applications.

It is always good if you decide to use plugins only in one or two graphics applications (e.g. Photoshop and PSP) or only use certain plugins in a certain application. If you want to use all your plugins in half a dozen applications, you will probably need to install them in various places and maintaining them will take quite some time.

Concetta31
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

oooh my ...hehehe... I'm very confused

Post by Concetta31 »

Thank you... but... I went and read and did what the tut said to do ...it's not working.... Some of them have worked...yet I have a flaming pear folder... inside the folder I have a many subs...

...for example I will use 'india ink' inside that sub folder there is the plugin itself and two more folders. 'india ink presets' and india ink images. Where do they go?

... I tried this two ways... I pointed psp8 to the flaming pear folder...got nothing....

...I pointed it to the 'india ink' folder and still got nothing

I'm confused! I dont know where I got these but I wish I did cuz they probably had directions with them? lol

I just knew this was going to be mind boggling...

..when I make a plugins folder on my c drive...do I take all the images and presets with it? do the images and presets actually go into a different folder in the psp? kind of like the plugins directory just a presets directory instead?

Thank you for all your help harald! I really appreciate it!

Post by Guest »

I use psp8 & use quite a few plugins ...... I have a folder in my documents called, My psp8 files, where I have lots of other folders, one called plugins, when I download a new plugin, I make another folder, in my plugins folder ...called (whatever the plugin is) ex ; Eyecandy4000 ..so that is where I shall install my eyecandy :) then in psp, you can go to file locations, & you can direct psp to that folder containing all your plugins, & they should work ......hope this helps some.