Mezzoforce Ice filter

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
Dorothy Gibbs
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Mezzoforce Ice filter

Post by Dorothy Gibbs »

Hi There,
I just downloaded this filter form the plugin site this morning. I installed it and it's opening screen comes up, with a preview when I try to use it. However If I press Ok to accept it gives a memepry exception message and closes.
Anyone know what to do about it?
Thanks
Dorothy
Dorothy Gibbs in Hertfordshire UK

Dorothy Gibbs
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Mezzoforce Ice filter

Post by Dorothy Gibbs »

Hi Again... of course that funny word in my message should have said memory exception. Sorry
Dorothy

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

What graphics application are you using? And which version?

Dorothy Gibbs
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Dorothy Gibbs »

HaraldHeim wrote:What graphics application are you using? And which version?
I was trying it in Paint Shop Pro 8.
In view of your question and before I replied I have now tried it in Corel 11, Elements 2 and even PSP7...it works in all of those. :roll:

Thanks for the swift reply,
Dorothy

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The Mezzoforce Ice plugin was created with FilterMeister which has a problem with Paint Shop Pro 8 in a certain operation mode. Seems that Mezzoforce Ice uses that mode. The next version of FilterMeister will have that fixed, so if Mezzoforce Ice will be updated after that the problem should vanish.

Anyway, please contact the author of Mezzoforce Ice and tell him. Maybe he can fix it before that.

Dorothy Gibbs
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Dorothy Gibbs »

HaraldHeim wrote: Anyway, please contact the author of Mezzoforce Ice and tell him. Maybe he can fix it before that.
Thanks for your help Harald... I'll do that.
Dorothy

malaz

Post by malaz »

hi all,

thanx to all Mezzoforce users

this is not a Mezzoforce filter problem, for ALL FILTERS created with filtermeister too and for many other photoshop compatible filters.
Problem have a PSP8 developers, because PSP 8 has much stricter memory limits than PSP 7 or Photoshop..., and many Photoshop compatible plugins CANT be used with large size of pictures.

I can recommend for mezzoforce and for other filters - use a selection before applying filter.

A.Malas - MezzoForce algorithm developer

Dorothy Gibbs
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Dorothy Gibbs »

Hi There,

Sorry, I should have written here as well when I wrote to the Mezzoforce site to say that Malaz's remedy works fine. I was trying to use the filter on a picture that was too large for PSP8's memory limits. Got a wonderful effect when I used a selection instead. Try it Folks!
Thanks Malaz.
Dorothy

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The PSP8 problem only appears for plugins created with FilterMeister, if the plugin developer didn't use the ForEveryTile handler (which is the advanced way to do it) to process the image. Anyway, this problem will be fixed with the next Filter Meister release, so recompiling the Mezzoforce plugin then will fix the problem. Or Malaz changes his plugin to use the ForEveryTile handler, then there will be no problem with PSP8.

I never tried using a selection, but if you say that that solved the problem, it is fine.

PSP uses Window's virtual memory feature, so it theoretically can process images that are as large as 50% of your free hard drive space. But of course you will have to wait ages and if you aren't using Windows 2000 or XP, it is very likely that Windows will crash if too much virtual memory is needed. Photoshop on the other hand offers its own virtual memory system which is optimized for processing images that don't fit into memory and works very quickly.

It depends on the plugin if it uses Window's or Photoshop's virtual memory. Photoshop's memory system means additional work for the plugin developer, so a lot of plugins don't make use of it. Unfortunately Photoshop has the bad habit to quit a plugin that tries to use too much of Window's virtual memory.

As a consequence you will be able to slowly process some large images in PSP with certain plugins whereas you can't do that in Photoshop. But if you use a plugin that makes use of Photoshop's virtual memory, you can process very large images in a fraction of the time that PSP would need.

Dorothy Gibbs
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Mezzoforce Ice filter

Post by Dorothy Gibbs »

Hi Harald,
Many thanks for that explanation. I understand the reason for the problem better now.
I will await the updated version of that filter.
Dorothy

malaz as A.Malas

Post by malaz as A.Malas »

Hi all,

sometimes designers have a problems because dont know some tricks about page file.

First that need to do before work with large images, this is set a correct page file. If your phisical memory is 254MB page file need be fixed about 600MB (fixed i mean minimal 600mb and maximum 600mb) not auto page file. And if you have several hard disks i recomend make page files on all disks (for NT platform OS). Largest page files than x2-2.5 dont have effect...
This is first that Im doing after reinstalling my OS.
And OS (PC) that good for designers is XP at this time...

Mezzoforce created about 2 years ago only for 2manekenai company (for winxp).
But really for others "born" only march 9 2004, then company owner decided publish plugin on the net...

About every tile that Harald write above. This needed not only for fix memory problems, but for presets function too (v.103 use it).
v.103 is maked now, but i need get several tests and update will be published. If you wanna test it, let me know malaz@kompai.lt, or wait a little...

If you wanna be informed about Mezzoforce upgrades, then you need subscribe to newsletter on mezzoforce site.

A.Malas

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

malaz as A.Malas wrote:First that need to do before work with large images, this is set a correct page file. If your phisical memory is 254MB page file need be fixed about 600MB (fixed i mean minimal 600mb and maximum 600mb) not auto page file.
Thanks for the tip that setting a larger paging file will cure memory problems for plugins that process images as a whole. I'll test it and if it works I'll tell other about it.
About every tile that Harald write above. This needed not only for fix memory problems, but for presets function too (v.103 use it).
v.103 is maked now, but i need get several tests and update will be published. If you wanna test it, let me know malaz@kompai.lt, or wait a little...
Goo to hear that you are now using the ForEveryTile handler in your plugin. That will fix the problem with PSP8.

malas

Post by malas »

new version mf103:

http://www.kompai.lt/2m/do.asp?r=mezzoforce103.zip

best regards: malas

handy

Post by handy »

malas wrote:new version mf103:

http://www.kompai.lt/2m/do.asp?r=mezzoforce103.zip

best regards: malas
I tried to follow the link but it appears to be down. Is there a place where it's possible to get it?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The product page is at http://www.kompai.lt/2m/inside.asp?lst=mezzoforce but it seems that the download link doesn't work. Please contact them about the problem.

Malas

Post by Malas »

Official Mezzoforce plugin site:

http://www.mezzoforce.com

regards: A.Malas

RubyB

PSP probs resolved?

Post by RubyB »

Before I download Mezzoforce, can anyone tell me if there are any problems with PSP9? :o

ICA,
Sophie ^i^

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The PSP problems have been fixed in the latest version.

RubyB

Post by RubyB »

Thanks ever so, Harold. I've been playing with it a bit and it works most of the time, but after I used Akvis Chameleon - which works about half the time.. the other half I'm getting 'unhandled exception during processing image' errors - I'm now getting 'memory access violation' errors. The Chameleon error freezes up the program and I have to C-A-D to shut it down. Do these 2 plug-ins not get along?

ICA,
Ru

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I guess Chameleon made PSP unstable. It is best if you restart PSP after that. Plugins usually don't interfer with each other, but they have an effect on the graphics application, which can cause trouble with other plugins.