straight edges

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
buddah30
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

straight edges

Post by buddah30 »

I'm a bit behind the times and use photoshop 5.5 and was wondering if there are any easy way or filter(s) that can take a scanned drawing or pencil sketch and turn it into nice solid crisp lines.

I've tried a hundred different ways but I keep getting a fuzy jagged edge. I've tried different stuff with and without the anti-aliasing on, but nothing seems to give me a crisp strainght edge short of doing it by hand. Any help would be hepful. Thanks

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Maybe the best method would be to convert the scanned drawing into vector graphics. There are some tools like Adobe Streamline (and probably also freeware tool) that can do that automatically.

buddah30
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

straight edges

Post by buddah30 »

yeah, I have illustrator 8 adn it doesn't seem to help much. I've also used a number of graphics programs. But, please give me your suggestions, I'll try anything to make it easier

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

An advanced version of Streamline is now part of Adobe Illustrator. Streamline isn't sold anymore by Adobe.

pyrodan
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by pyrodan »

Try turning off the anti-aliasing off. If you don't see an option to un-click anti-aliasing, go to the preferences and in the "General" tab, change the interpolation to "nearest neighbor". This will turn off the anti-aliasing and eliminate the fuzzy edges. You may have to scan at a higher resolution, we use 450 dpi, and with a pencil sketch, adjust the brightness and contrast to convert the grey areas into hard black areas. You can then convert from greyscale into bitmap and have a hard black and white document. The edges will still be rasterized, but not fuzzy, and at 450 dpi, quite printable. We use this method to produce high quality films for small format screen printing on coffee mugs and glassware.