mega megapixels?

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
hg taylor
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

mega megapixels?

Post by hg taylor »

OK just got a new camera 8 megapixels massive increase over previous camera

a quick test tells me that my old adobe plugins no longer work with images at this size. I mean I can zoom in and still find the effect but looking at the picture as a whole its hard to tell anything has happened by running the filter.

will all filters work this way on my new pictures?

I kinda liked playing with the artsy pictures effects

thanks!

hg taylor
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

big images

Post by hg taylor »

I'm guessing that there is no work around here and that beyond a certain point you can't accomplish anything useful out of running photoshop compatible filters on the multi-megapixel images coming from the newer cameras.

I'm trying to produce 30"x 40" (maybe 54"x 72" ) 300+PPI images for Giclee reproduction in canvas that are the product of both my photography and photoshop compatible artistic media filters and scripts. Faramir's Stairstepping is nice but still interpolated.

BTW, What IS the optimum size/resolution for PS compatible filtering?

Guy

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

This is an interesting question!

Tell us more about your hardware setup and software preferences.

I have about every plug-in there is (see my website) and would like to experiment with some of your from-the-camera images using an Intel iMac (2GHz Core Duo with 2 gigs RAM). Please let me know if you can post them for download.

I think that iMac can handle the specs you're after!

Tell us about your business as well. I started looking into doing something similar, but didn't pursue it too far...

Mike
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

hg taylor
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by hg taylor »

plugsnpixels wrote:This is an interesting question!

Tell us more about your hardware setup and software preferences.

I have about every plug-in there is (see my website) and would like to experiment with some of your from-the-camera images using an Intel iMac (2GHz Core Duo with 2 gigs RAM). Please let me know if you can post them for download.

I think that iMac can handle the specs you're after!

Tell us about your business as well. I started looking into doing something similar, but didn't pursue it too far...

Mike
Hi Mike,

Busy week, New camera has been acting up too - Canon Rebel XT EOS is having trouble with mem card and with producing half-frame images.

...yeah busy week indeed! this post has been sitting open on my desktop under a few windows for a couple of days. Sorry for the delay in replying :( :oops:

The camera (and its no doubt soon to be replacement) is putting out images ranging from 1.5 to 4 MB images at 3456 x 2304 at 72DPI (is that good/normal? I think my old camera put out at around 200-250 DPI… smaller image tho too.

The computer is an HP Pavilion almost a year old. AMD Athalon 62x2 DualCore 3800+ 994MHz w/ about 2GB Ram running XP Media Ed. sp2

The filtering I'm trying to move into big giclees looks like:

http://www.google.com/base/a/1341482/D1 ... 9679203223

hg taylor
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by hg taylor »

plugsnpixels wrote:

Mike
I'm a part-time elementary art teacher but I do shows around the Western States in the summer and local shows in the fall. So far its been what I can print on my little epson or at kinkos but i want an improved and larger product... on gallery wrapped canvas.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Those are nice! I'm still thinking you should apply the filter on the largest image it can handle, then upscale the result. Check out Alien Skin's new Blow Up as an interpolation option.

So, how have sales been in your experience?
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

hg taylor
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by hg taylor »

plugsnpixels wrote:Those are nice! I'm still thinking you should apply the filter on the largest image it can handle, then upscale the result. Check out Alien Skin's new Blow Up as an interpolation option.

So, how have sales been in your experience?

Thanks!

Wow, Blow Up looks like quite an improvement on the Faramir Stairstep I've been using! That might work. I was starting to think I might want to try photographic enlargement instead of digital. So do you know? Are filters built randomly around whatever images are handy to tweak or are their some optimal general size limitations within which most filters work best? Are there any scalable filters not limited by image size where you can choose a brush that is scaled for the canvas size? Would impressionist support that?

Mostly, my work is abstract hard edged pastels there an example in the booth photo I think. They sell from 600-2000 dollars... so far the digital stufff has been an experimental study planning for a less toxic retirement in a few years. They are selling as $5 notecards pretty well and small digital pints for under $40 or $under 100 framed. Some do quite well... others just sit around. It's a different market for me so i'm still learning whay kinds of work sells for me.

Lately I've started to keep scripts of the actions I'm taking on images as I work so I can repeat it later as I work towards refining my digital 'style' towards something consistant and identifiable with me. I suppose I could put them into photoshop scripts eventually.

I picked up a glass kiln recently and am now wondering if I can find a way to turn images into glaze decals or something that I could fuse onto glass objects.

cheers