New Portraiture plug-in just out

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

New Portraiture plug-in just out

Post by plugsnpixels »

I just got ahold of the new Portraiture plug-in from Imagenomic. Portraiture does a fantastic job with detail smoothing and softening skin tones (and skin tones only if desired!).
Last edited by plugsnpixels on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

Sammo
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by Sammo »

The portraiture plug-in appears to be just what I'm after. Any chance that it will be offered as an *.8bf plug-in compatible with Paintshop Pro?

-- Sam

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Hmm, I don't see PSP support listed on their website, though it is an *.8bf plug-in. Perhaps you can try the demo just to see if it works, or send an email to the developers with your request.

Next time I'm in Windows (I'm Mac-based), I'll try it with PSP XI.
www.plugsandpixels.com

rsnow
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by rsnow »

The Portraiture plug-in seems quite expensive $169.95.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

rsnow, that is the price before the discount.
www.plugsandpixels.com

rsnow
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by rsnow »

O.K. you are right. After discount it amounts to approximately $130. This is not a bad price for good software especially for someone who does a lot of portrait work. I didn't mean to imply that the plug-in wasn't worth the cost.

I guess it was more of a reaction of an old man who is retired (on a limited budget) and who has a hobby of digital photography. I'm always looking for inexpensive ways to improve my work but I realize that most times I have to just work harder to get the results I want.

I am new to this site and I do not want to upset anybody with my comments. I was just a little surprised at the price because most plug-ins I had seen before were usually under the $100 mark.

Jaci
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Jaci »

Sammo wrote:The portraiture plug-in appears to be just what I'm after. Any chance that it will be offered as an *.8bf plug-in compatible with Paintshop Pro?
Only plug-ins created for Photoshop 7 and below are compatible (with very few exceptions) with PSP. Since this one is for PS CS/CS2 you are out of luck.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

rsnow, no worries! No one can afford to buy all of this stuff that comes out. Plug-in prices are all over the place. I try to make the decision making process a little easier by providing the information on my site.

What you say is true--you can recreate a lot of the plug-in effects manually, but it takes a lot of time and effort and know-how. Which is fine if you have the time/skill; not so fine when working under deadline ;-).
Last edited by plugsnpixels on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.plugsandpixels.com

rsnow
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by rsnow »

Well, as the saying goes, "I have more time than money" but I'll hang around and check things out here at the Plugin Site.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Jaci wrote:[Only plug-ins created for Photoshop 7 and below are compatible (with very few exceptions) with PSP.
Sorry, but your statement is not correct according to my experiences. Even if plugins were created with the Photosho CS SDK, they don't necessarily need to use features that are specific for Photoshop. So they can work with PSP, too.
rsnow wrote:The Portraiture plug-in seems quite expensive $169.95.
I agree. I also think that it is a bit overpriced as a Photoshop plugin. But everyone is free to buy it or not. If the makers want to earn less money by overprizing it, it is their decision :-). Otherwise it appears to be a nice plugin.

Jaci
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Jaci »

HaraldHeim wrote: Sorry, but your statement is not correct according to my experiences. Even if plugins were created with the Photosho CS SDK, they don't necessarily need to use features that are specific for Photoshop. So they can work with PSP, too.
Oh, sorry about passing on wrong information :oops:

Although I do remember seeing posts relating to this in several PSP forums and the general though is that the newest plug-ins released for Photoshop will not work with PSP, specially older versions such as 7.

Another problem is that developers aren't listing PSP as a supported program anymore, nor are using "photoshop-compatible" (which usually indicates that PSP is supported), they are listing specific Photoshop versions (CS and CS2).

Harald, do you have a list of the latest plug-ins that work with PSP?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sure, some plugin developers do not care about PSP and have not tested their plugins for compatibility with PSP, but even then their plugins may work with PSP.

Sorry, I have no list of plugins that work with PSP. I think it would be much easier to create a list of plugins that don't work with PSP. I think that 95% of all Photoshop plugins work with PSP.

If PSP is not listed on the product page of a plugin, you need to download the demo version and check it out yourself. It is also a good idea to write to the plugin developers and ask for compatibility with PSP. If these people become aware that many PSP users are interested, they may try to make future versions of their plugins compatible with PSP.

Jaci
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by Jaci »

Thanks, Harald. This clear things out a bit and I'll definitely pass this information on :wink:

dlroberts
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Protrait Plug-in

Post by dlroberts »

I use the Kodak/GEM Airbrush plug-in with Photoshop, but it claims to be compatible with other programs. It costs $99.95 -- you can download a trial at:

http://asf.com/products/plugins/airpro/pluginAIRPRO/

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Protrait Plug-in

Post by plugsnpixels »

dlroberts wrote:I use the Kodak/GEM Airbrush plug-in with Photoshop, but it claims to be compatible with other programs.
Portraiture offers quite a bit more adjustments than GEM. See the difference via screenshots here and here.
www.plugsandpixels.com

dlroberts
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Portatirure versus Kodak/Gem

Post by dlroberts »

I agree -- I was just giivng him options in case Portraiture doesn't work with his program.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

No worries, dl! ;-)
www.plugsandpixels.com